• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best cpu for gaming

Soldato
Buddy asked me what to upgrade to. He wants to move to a newer DDR5 system.

I’ve been told that intel 14th gen can’t be beaten in games, but the 7800x3d is relatively cheap is some shops.

He won’t be waiting for the new CPU’s to come out he wants to buy now. At the same cost of a 7800x3d what’s is intel’s offering and is it worth it?

Soldato
OP
se he picked up a 7600x haha, is was via BGrade and means he did have to get his credit card out and will upgrade to the 5800x3d latter.
he's upgrading from a 2600x so the upgrade is still massive

is there anything he need's to do with a 7600x is turms of power or is it just set CO and firget

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £350.00 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Caporegime
ill send him down the AM5 rough.

a watercooler thats wounds with the stock AM4 clips will fit AM5 too right?

It should, AMD have deliberately kept the mounting holes in the same place and the Z hight of the socket + CPU the same to make it AM4 cooler compatible.

Edit, its why the weird cutouts in the HS, the package is quite different to AM4 but they made the Heat Spreader like that so it fits AM4 coolers. Without the cutouts they would have made the HS larger as the SMD's on the PCB don't fit under the AM4 HS, its to small.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The 14700k is a great all rounder as an alternative especially in productivity and no slouch in gaming.

Don't be fooled by DDR5 it gives little performance uplift in gaming over DDR4.

But gaming the 7800x3d would be my first choice plus the ability to future upgrade on that platform.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having just built a 7800X3d build myself I would definately recommend it. Pair it with some EXPO 6000Mhz CL30 DDR5 RAM and throw on an all core Negative Curve Optimisation and you are laughing.

Soldato
OP
He ended up grabbing a BGrade 7600x because it was very cheap and he didn’t have to use his credit card.

Something inside his system gave a puff of smoke out that whys he’s upgrading and going will a few new ddr5 set up he doesn’t trust his old hardware

Last edited:
Associate
His system went up in a puff of smoke and he's building a B grade system? Good luck. I had a B grade system literally go up in smoke years ago,the chemical smell was awful.
Edit* The smoke on mine was the motherboard traces burning out, everything else was salvaged.

Last edited:
Associate
Go for 7800X3D in most games is better than 14th gen
well online benches vs the 7950x3d 14th gen wins all the time, mostly, then why would a lower end budget 7800X3d be better than a 14th gen?

14th gen also smashes AMD in most other CPU benchmarking software, I really wanted to get a 7950X3d on release for a DDR5 build but am holding on to see what Intel presents later on this year.

Soldato
There is a reason the 7800x3d is the best selling cpu, because it the best gaming cpu with insane efficiency on a socket with a future. Intel is really not an option for new builds, AM5 all the way.

Soldato
The 7800X3D is very power efficient compared to the strong Intels, the difference is quite large and you will never notice the difference if frames

Back
Top Bottom