• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best cpu for servers

Associate
If i am not mistaken server motherboards have dual sockets for two CPUs.

The Xeon processors have some instructions specific to servers and are supposingly optimised for stability first i think.

Associate
Xeons are based on the C2D but with some extra optimization for stability and 24/7 offering, along with multiple socket support. Also work with more server orientated Chipsets, that offer greater memory support, always FB-DIMM or ECC type so no cheap DDR2 and additional expansion type such as PCI-X where Server expansion cards still tend to be based on. Also usually find SCSI or SAS rather then SATA and IDE.

Comparing a Xeon with a Core isn't really a comparison as aimed at different markets. Hence why the Mac Pro uses Xeon rather then Core processors. However if you took a 2.4GHz Xeon it would giver very similar performance to a Q6600, probably slightly slower as the FB-DIMMS or ECC would impact slightly on the test, however that isn't the CPU but the memory.

If buying a server for work purposes that was critical I would always go with a Xeon/Opteron rather then a Core/Athlon system.

Back
Top Bottom