Best Electric Shaver?

Man of Honour
I have a model or two down from that shaver in the OP, so I have the shaver body and a little stand - no cleaner. It's not bad and it's certainly better on my neck though as said a lot in this thread it doesn't beat a nice hot wet shave :)

However I don't have that much time hence I dry shave mostly. Some people like Philips, some Braun, choose which ever your face has liked the most and you're happier using (if like me you have tried both before). Though remember when getting a new one it'll take a shave or two before your face adjusts if you know what I mean.

Also look at all the Arcitec range and go for the cheapest. The variations in prices between models of the same series make the "top" ones total rip offs. The shaver blades and mechanisms are identical, it's either the body or any other guff/gimicks (e.g. stands, little clocks, cases, cleaning docks, different displays (e.g. my model tells me to wash the shaver post shave and charge it, whereas yours tells you something else) etc.), that result in such enormous price differences and are totally not worth it.

Last edited:
Permabanned
The problem with those Philips RQ shavers is the area the cut hairs collect, it's tiny so you have to empty it everyday, perhaps twice during a shave if have a beard. I paid £130 for the 1075, but went halfs as a gift. Looking back at it now should have got the standard style 3 head philips (ie that Williams F1)

Caporegime
Guys i'm also looking for a reasonably priced electric shaver that will give me a decent shave while keeping me a bit stubbly (i'm not a fan of close wet shaves, I prefer the rugged look). I also have very tough, wiry stubble so it needs to be able to handle that... and also the ability to handle slightly longer stubble without much fuss would be great too.

So in order to resurrect this thread... what did some of you guys searching for (Morba etc) end up buying?

Permabanned
Use hair clippers, that can leave a 1mm or 2mm stubble also much quicker than a shaver so less rash. You can cut yourself easier but that's manly.

Caporegime
Ok guys after a solid morning research pretty much the only razor I can find that gets consistently good reviews on every site I Googled is.... *drumroll*... the Braun 5874 Contour.

Costs between £35 and £40 and apparently shaves better than the £200 Philishaves, and uses the same razors as the high-end Braun models.

Ordering now. :)

Permabanned
I find beard trimmers a waste of time, just good for doing side burns. If you want to do whole face with a stubble then I'd use hair clippers. Makes a bit of a mess do it above the sink.

Permabanned
Any with a sliding cutting head - so you can adjust the length of the stubble. Probably need rechargable as mains operated, won't have 240v 3 pin supply in the bathroom. Got "WAHL ACADEMY PROFESSIONAL CORDLESS CHROME HAIR CLIPPERS" paid about £40 for those.

Soldato
i have just ordered a Braun.

Had one a while ago (with the moisturizer on) and it was pants. Broke after about a year and cost me £60 (half price from boots)

Had a few philishaves but they just don't give a shave close, was going to try a Remington but thought i would try this after the good reviews here.

Associate
At least with an electric shaver you can't cut yourself if you are rushing to get shaved and showered... Mind you I was using a cheap supermarket razor with cheap soap...

Must dig out my old electric shaver and see how it shaves...

Soldato
No help for the OP, but if I want a decent shave I use a Murkur and if I'm in a hurry and need a quick shave (like this morning) I use a Quattro.

Proper wet shaving does take a long time; about fifteen minutes for 2 or 3 passes and all the pre and post-amble. But once you've got that down pat a Quattro takes about 2 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom