Best floor for a greenhouse?

Soldato
I have recently put up a greenhouse and would like to know what kind of flooring materials I should use.

The greenhouse was put up on some grass, so the floor has been covered for the last couple of months to kill/suppress the grass. I was planning on putting some polythene sheet down with loads and loads of holes punched in it followed be about three inches of 20mm crushed gravel. Does that sound ok or are there any other alternatives I should consider? I can do the above for £45 odd quid. I'd prefer cheaper options tbh.

I plan to do all my growing in pots/grow bags, so don't need access to the earth.

Many thanks :)

Soldato
you should have put a small base down first to put the greenhouse on, shouldnt have put it on to the grass, if youre wanting cheap which by the looks of things you are, put plantex down (breathable weed resistant fabric) then put gravel on top.

Soldato
OP
you should have put a small base down first to put the greenhouse on, shouldnt have put it on to the grass, if youre wanting cheap which by the looks of things you are, put plantex down (breathable weed resistant fabric) then put gravel on top.

Sorry - should have said - the greenhouse has been placed on a levelled ring beam of 6"x4"x2' concrete slabs/kerbstones, but the floor is just earth.

Soldato
Why not grown in the ground? My dad does this with some tiles in the middle to stand on - grows tomatoes and they flourish and can easily renew the soil/compost if needed and looks better than grow bags imo!

I plan to have a greenhouse soon, i have a hard standing that prev had a greenhouse on it but now has a shed so was thinking of going the same way as my dad did - same as you there is a ring of concrete for the structure to stand on.

Soldato
Why not grown in the ground? My dad does this with some tiles in the middle to stand on - grows tomatoes and they flourish and can easily renew the soil/compost if needed and looks better than grow bags imo!

My mum does this, works a treat. If you want the pots higher then yeah use a table, put some membrane down and cover with gravel as suggested above

- GP

Associate
I had grass on my base and I weedkilled it and it has not come back for 2 year lol.....

I think gravel is the easiest but when you drop stuff like compost and a few seeds you cant pick them up or clean up properly.

I have put down some paving slabs from wickes. U would need 15 probably for a 8x6 and they are only about £1.5 - £2each

I just put 8 slabs down the centre and left either side bare.....but with the option of planting straight into the ground or raised beds later or putting some chippings down.

Caporegime
When the main door is open, there'll be a screen/mesh door in it's place, and the rest of the openings will be 4' up. I'm hoping that slug features won't be able to make it past the perimeter, let alone munch my fresh, juicy veggies and fruits :)

ive had slugs on my second floor balcony before :D

missus stepped on one in the dark lol :D

Man of Honour
My dad goes for the growing in the ground option as well, couple of slabs up the middle. Then he's got one side gravelled and with shelving on for all his little seedlings then the other side is bare ground with plenty of good compost worked in that he grows things like tomatoes in.

Soldato
I bought some of that heavy gauge groundsheet/ tarp, with the intention of putting gravel down, but tbh the sheet is holding up great. I may well get a few bags of gravel at some point but its been over a year now and the ground sheet is still in perfect condition.

No problems with slugs in there either and I get loads of slugs in my garden. I picked 140 slugs off my house wall over 2 nights :eek:.

Back
Top Bottom