• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best GPU for a 4770k without waste?

Caporegime
Looking to play some new games. But I believe I'm near the end of life of my PC.

Ie where a new GPU (for example) will be bottlenecked by cpu etc.

I have a z87 + 4770k

What's the best GPU that isn't wasted on this? As I do not want to spend loads for new everything

A 6600 or 3060 depending on your preference wouldn't be a bad shout.

It depends on what you have currently tbh, and what you're intending to play.

So currently have a 1070.

And I don't really game much. But I love DnD and was thinking of picking up BG3.

My monitor is 1440 ultrawide.

Can't remember if it's 100 or 60hz

Edit
Monitor is 100hz and free sync not G sync

Last edited:
I'd spend a bit more if that's the case, see if you can grab a 6700XT or equivalent for around the £300 mark.

It's worth hitting up the forums MM and seeing if there are any deals to be had tbh, you'll get more for your money and people are generally happy to help with warranties too.

Depends a bit if you are overclocked or not - but I still err towards a 3060ti, 3070 or AMD equivalent, you might be a bit bottlenecking the GPU but it won't be hugely wasteful.

Though that said I found more recent games could be held back by 4 core 8 thread CPUs and upgraded my 4820K to a 6 core 12 thread Xeon before eventually moving to a 14700K for gaming.

I don't believe it's possible to upgrade a 4770k much is it? Isn't the max like 4790k?

What are the amd equivalents?

So it's not worth going to a 1080ti?

I'm so out of the loop I have no idea tbh!

I don't believe it's possible to upgrade a 4770k much is it? Isn't the max like 4790k?
Yep and there's no point to that move - just overclock your 4770k

It should still be fine - it's in a similar ballpark to the 3060, 3070 or 6700xt that have been mentioned

What are the amd equivalents?

I'm so out of the loop I have no idea tbh!

Sadly no significant upgrade path.

just sell some shares and buy a whole new pc, weird to upgrade only part of it imo
I don't want to spend much as its only one game.

It may just be better to drop to 60hz/lower resolution and stick with 1070?

Or is a 1080ti worth it?

Even the 300 pound gpus are pushing the limit.
Well. Let's say after selling the 1070 I'd rather not spend 100+

Last edited:
Get a cheap 4790K, delid it, liquid metal, and overclock the **** off it.

Utterly pointless change, the 4790K is just a refreshed 4770K, there's barely any difference between them and a huge second hand cost for what they are.

@OP: OC your CPU if you can, it's capable enough for a 6700XT class card.

I'll reiterate: Hit up the MM, I sold a 3060ti (the Nvidia competitor to the 6700XT) on there not so long ago with a couple of years warranty left for £215.

There are good deals to be had that would give you a lot of uplift.

Last edited:
Yep and there's no point to that move - just overclock your 4770k

It should still be fine - it's in a similar ballpark to the 3060, 3070 or 6700xt that have been mentioned
Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom