• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best GPU Gaming in 21:10

Associate
I have started gaming again and in Far Cry 5 my GTX1080ti is struggling a bit, to the point that I put it back from being a vertical mount to a standard mount as it was overheating in my Evolv X.

The monitor I have is 3840x1600 at 75Hz but can’t maintain 75fps in Ultra settings. I always thought the RTX2080 isn’t a significant bump from the GTX1080ti, as per signature I have the Inno3D GTX1080ti Ultra X3, is this actually true?

Would a ROG Strix RTX2080 OC or Radeon VII be an improvement, or is an RTX2080ti the only viable upgrade path currently?

I can re-use the GTX1080ti in a build I am about to do for my son, as I’m planning on upgrading to a 3700X on X570 once reviews in!

Soldato
If a GTX1080ti is struggling then your two options are a 2080ti or a monitor with a lower resolution. Personally, I dont think 3840x1600 is a viable option yet if it requires the most expensive gaming card in the world in my opinion. It's just ridiculous. Perhaps in 3 years time when technologuy catches up.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If a GTX1080ti is struggling then your two options are a 2080ti or a monitor with a lower resolution. Personally, I dont think 3840x1600 is a viable option yet if it requires the most expensive gaming card in the world in my opinion. It's just ridiculous. Perhaps in 3 years time when technologuy catches up.

The monitor was bought primarily for productivity and it is amazing for that purpose, especially coming from a 27” 1080p gaming monitor, I never really thought about the fact it’s 75% the pixels of a 4K display.

I’d rather not fork out £1200+ on a GPU on principle, especially as I’d like a vertical GPU mount which itself would necessitate an AIO card due to the fact that most cards are 2.5 slots+ and this isn’t great in the Evolv X temperature wise. I’m hoping that Computex will see price cuts announced especially as NVIDIA is stopping the pre-binned “A” OC variants of the TU104 and TU106 dies.

I wish that SLI/Crossfire has died a death as two Radeon VII’s would be a fun experiment especially with prices approaching £500!

Associate
I have a 1080 ti and would like to see 100fps on ultra settings on my ultrawide but it isn't going to happen just yet.
A 2080 ti may be able to push enough fps but it is far too close with no room for more demanding games in the future to justify the additional cost imo.

I am waiting for the next generation of gpus and i suggest you do the same to avoid disappointment. Hopefully the next gen high end cards will be capable enough.

Associate
OP
This - just try playing on high settings I bet you won't notice the difference

Spot on! Dropped to High from Ultra! Interestingly had to create a custom resolution of 3840x1600 @74Hz to get G-Sync through Freesync to work properly, otherwise had lots of black screens if left at 75Hz, especially during loading and cut screens. I guess this is due to the lack of LFC as the Freesync window is 48-75Hz only.

£3080+vat :p

If these high prices continue then PC gaming and the PCMR will be for the 1%!

Soldato
I have started gaming again and in Far Cry 5 my GTX1080ti is struggling a bit, to the point that I put it back from being a vertical mount to a standard mount as it was overheating in my Evolv X.

The monitor I have is 3840x1600 at 75Hz but can’t maintain 75fps in Ultra settings. I always thought the RTX2080 isn’t a significant bump from the GTX1080ti, as per signature I have the Inno3D GTX1080ti Ultra X3, is this actually true?

Would a ROG Strix RTX2080 OC or Radeon VII be an improvement, or is an RTX2080ti the only viable upgrade path currently?

I can re-use the GTX1080ti in a build I am about to do for my son, as I’m planning on upgrading to a 3700X on X570 once reviews in!

Assuming you want top settings (without Ray Tracing) at no less than 75fps, you need (I'd say at least) about 2 times the power of a single 2080ti.

If you don't mind lowering settings, you're probably ok with what you have for around 60fps +/-. A 2080ti should add roughly 30% more power compared to a decent 1080ti/2080, depending on model.

Back
Top Bottom