Best HDR monitors?

Permabanned
I have already put down some cash today for an upgrade over my M27Q sacrificing panel speed as I don't actually play anything online competitively no more so that's not too much of an issue.
However as far as I am aware, the Viewsonic Elite XG270QX 27" 2560x1440 165hz VA is one of the best for the money?

I have already put the money down for it, will arrive tomorrow, I just could not find anything close to it, think the purchase was wise?

I will be selling my M27Q to recoup some money.

Last edited:
Personally not convinced by the HDR on any monitor I've tried - the only displays I've been happy with current HDR tech to be honest is those using HDR1000 with quantum dot VA/MVA displays where the non-HDR colour/brightness is so good it masks some of the HDR inadequacies but they tend to have some negatives when used as a monitor as mostly they are TV or TV derived rather than designs as a monitor from the ground up.

Unless you are an ultra competitive gamer a non-TN display should be a serious consideration in this day and age especially if they support adaptive sync as many IPS and VA type panels are fast enough now for all but the most competitive of gaming use and can significantly increase image quality over older gaming monitors. Though personally I only find a small number of VA panels acceptable as most still have some smearing/graininess with certain fast colour transitions and once you see it you can't "unsee" it.

Last edited:
Maybe a decent monitor, but if you’re after a screen for actual HDR performance as the title suggests, I’m afraid it won’t be very good at all :( this explains

To add a recommendation; building on what BA said....

OLED is pretty much the only way to have a decent HDR experience. Once you've had inky blacks, you never wanna go back ;)

From my experience of 2 monitors with the HDR400 specification I can say with confidence it means bugger all!

My 32" Dell 165 HZ VA monitor is totally crap at HDR. Yes it can reach 400 nits and has ~3000 contrast BUT it's edge lit with next to no zoning capability so when HDR is enabled you can forget getting any sort of blacks. I didn't by it with HDR in mind but it had it I tried it and didn't bother again.

Complete contrast is the Alienware AW3423DW with HDR400. I was waiting for a monitor that had high contrast. True blacks. Great colour and enough brightness to do HDR justice. Despite only reaching 400 nits (there is also a 1000 nit mode) for small areas the effectively infinite contrast means you really do get a good HDR affect.

Complete contrast is the Alienware AW3423DW with HDR400. I was waiting for a monitor that had high contrast. True blacks. Great colour and enough brightness to do HDR justice. Despite only reaching 400 nits (there is also a 1000 nit mode) for small areas the effectively infinite contrast means you really do get a good HDR affect.

Yeah only QD LED and QD OLED seem worth it for HDR in my opinion - though there is a bit of a trade there between black levels and brightness/contrast levels depending on the tech but at least they have the colour/brightness performance to mask the otherwise inadequacies such as limitations of zones, etc.

HDR400 is the equivalent of when TV's had "HDR ready". just means they can accept the HDR signal and makes zero difference to your HDR pics

Pretty much. Though, just to note - that doesn't apply to HDR400 True Black. Honestly, the VESA standards are an utter mess of marketing confusion D:

Thanks folks, TBH I really just want deeper blacks but am a cheap skate right now so VA it is, I will try the HDR out and see how it goes from there.

Last edited:
Thanks folks, TBH I really just want deeper blacks but am a cheap skate right now so VA it is, I will try the HDR out and see how it goes from there.
the PG35VG is a VA monitor and is great for HDR has also dropped around £1000 in price but it still far from being cheap :cry:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom