Best low profile CPU cooling ?

Associate
I'm trying to sort out a new mini itx pc, have 58mm clearance and want the quietest cooler that works pretty well too.
CPU is an AMD Ryzen 5 5600
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/prolimatech-ultra-sleek-vortex-fan-140mm-fg-009-pl.html

So far these seem to be pretty high on my list but any suggestions would be appreciated

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryorig-c7-cu-top-flow-cpu-heatsink-copper-hs-00z-cy.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nh-l9i-17xx-low-profile-cpu-cooler-92mm-hs-03z-nc.html
Thank you !
In case it helps, the case is one of these -
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/silv...case-black-window-sst-rvz02b-w-ca-422-sv.html

Associate
Have had that cooler (in black) in a node202 for 3yrs on a 3800 with no problem. Just put a 5600xt in and again no problem

Associate
With a mini itx mobo you would be limited to 92mm low profile cpu coolers. The cryorig is a better low profile cooler by maybe 2-3c due to a better fan and slightly taller heatsink for better heat dispersion. But as you are only needing to cool a 5600, you can't go wrong with the noctua nh-l9i (I prefer the black but not at £20 more if so stick with cryorig in black) and is also in stock. OCUK can only give estimates for on order items and usually there is a hold up slowing the estimate down by a long margin.

Associate
OP
With a mini itx mobo you would be limited to 92mm low profile cpu coolers. The cryorig is a better low profile cooler by maybe 2-3c due to a better fan and slightly taller heatsink for better heat dispersion. But as you are only needing to cool a 5600, you can't go wrong with the noctua nh-l9i (I prefer the black but not at £20 more if so stick with cryorig in black) and is also in stock. OCUK can only give estimates for on order items and usually there is a hold up slowing the estimate down by a long margin.
Yup 92mm it is. I've read a couple of reviews of the two and it seems there isn't much in it except that the Noctua is lower, which just may help air flow I'm guessing?
My main objective is to keep it all as quiet as possible, so better air flow may mean slower fan speed is my thinking.

Man of Honour
if you're limited to 58mm vertical height, have a look at this: id-cooling is-60
obvs not sold at ocuk
it's better than the noctua l9 and cryorig c7, the only caveat is that you'd need low profile ram

Associate
I run a NH-9 something or other Nokia low profile cooler on my mATX board. With the fan under the heatsink (necessitated by my case design) there is VERY little clearance, really need to ensure all RAM is fitted prior to mounting the cooler.
Its cooling a 3700x CPU no dramas at all.

Associate
OP
Can you let us know how you get on with it and tell us the temps you get, as I'm interested in that cooler and CPU.
You are asking a lot from this old duffer as I've never done anything like this, but using something called core temp at 100% use it hits 82, using AIDA 64 doing a stability test it's on 68.
No idea if that tells you much, the guy who's just put it all together for me was fairly pleased with it and I'm pleased with how quiet it all is.

Soldato
You are asking a lot from this old duffer as I've never done anything like this, but using something called core temp at 100% use it hits 82, using AIDA 64 doing a stability test it's on 68.
No idea if that tells you much, the guy who's just put it all together for me was fairly pleased with it and I'm pleased with how quiet it all is.

Thanks, I'm glad your pleased with it and it's quiet for you as well. Temps look pretty good for a stress test. Real world use I expect it's got pretty cool temps.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I'm glad your pleased with it and it's quiet for you as well. Temps look pretty good for a stress test. Real world use I expect it's got pretty cool temps.
I'm using a slim and fairly small case with one side pretty close to the edge of a desk, so ventilation isn't too good (it improved after I removed the plastic film covering the vents!) and currently it's between 63 and 65 and the noisiest fan is on the Zotec GPU. I may try to se if I can make some sort of shroud to fit a 92mm Noctua fan at some stage to reduce the noise although it's pretty quiet already.
And now, it's down to 58.
My toes are getting cold!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
A little update - I've replaced the little gpu fan with a 120mm Noctua slim fan with a couple of bits of plastic to direct the air better onto the cooler and out of the case.
With the slowest speed reducing cable fitted its not only putting out way less heat but is way quieter.
I may try another on the cpu in the next few days..

Associate
OP
..and having now fitted a 120mm Noctua to cool the CPU (it's actually fixed to the case base using a few bits of plastic, so about 10mm away from the actual cooler) and with the fan at full speed my temps are around 32 degrees with a max so far of 52 while editing a photo. Not sure it's much quieter so I may play with one of the speed adjusting cables that came with the fan later.

Man of Honour
..and having now fitted a 120mm Noctua to cool the CPU (it's actually fixed to the case base using a few bits of plastic, so about 10mm away from the actual cooler) and with the fan at full speed my temps are around 32 degrees with a max so far of 52 while editing a photo. Not sure it's much quieter so I may play with one of the speed adjusting cables that came with the fan later.
You should post a pic of your pc .

Associate
OP
Maybe next time I open it up, but it's a mess, just a quick lash up to see if it works and helps. I'm not one to waste my time and money on things purely for the looks, and the inside of a computer case is not on my list of things I care about - white silicone on a black case, odd bits of plastic roughly cut to approx size and epoxy resin sloshed about....
I may have a look for a bit of aluminium that I can use as a more permanent solution for fixing this second fan that can be unscrewed, at the moment the remains of a tube of bathroom silicone holds it in place and can be cut through whenever I need to remove it for cleaning etc..

Back
Top Bottom