best method for backing up pc stuff

Associate
ive got lots of films on my pc so it takes loads of dvdr discs what other way can i backup my stuff, at the moment it takes ages to backup all my stuff, im only using nero to back it up

Associate
I bought an external disk drive enclosure (icybox) and put an old hard disk that I had in it. I use this as my back up medium now. The software that I use is acronis true image (I thought it was better than Norton Ghost). You can get free 25 (or 30 day) trials of the software, so you can see what program works best for you. I did a full back up and then a weekly incremental backup, which happens automatically and it all happens in the background whatever you are doing at the time.

Caporegime
External hdd are probably the best way, networked external hdd drives are even faster because you can transfer data to them by ethernet which is much faster than usb 2.0 or firewire.

Associate
"Don't put all of your eggs in one basket"

Just remember that you can drop your external hard disk. Or spill coffee on it. Or the cat could **** on it. So if it is really valuable data, still copy to DVD at regular intervals or a second external hard disk. Ideally stored at a different address.

No Swearing.

Gilly.

Soldato
IS there any good reminder program that you can setup with alarms, reminders ect because it's all well having a backup but if you don't remeber to backup all the time it's pointless.

Associate
You have task schedulers built into XP that you can use.

Or write it into your diary.

Or use something like Nero as that has a built in scheduler with it's backup.

Or just backup anytime you have added in a new collection of data.

Permabanned
Yeah i would have suggested the task schedulers built into XP
For storing your data, i agree with Mallen
External hard drives may be the best option for you, unless you have some networking possibilites
Otherwise, i would get the external hard drive, and save to dvd every once in a while

Caporegime
MAllen said:
"Don't put all of your eggs in one basket"

Just remember that you can drop your external hard disk. Or spill coffee on it. Or the cat could **** on it. So if it is really valuable data, still copy to DVD at regular intervals or a second external hard disk. Ideally stored at a different address.

He said backup which means he already has it on a hdd. Besides backing up to dvd is tedious, they have low capacity which means you need loads of them and they are slow to backup to, then when you want something you have to find the right dvd you backed something up onto and then it takes time to copy the stuff accross to the hd again.

Associate
Energize - I do agree with you. :) If he is literally "backing up" then he is creating a duplicate on the external disk. This should then allow for coffee being poured into the external disk and still having the original on the PC.

But there are people who say "backup" when they mean "archive". This is when they want more space on the main PC and they delete files after they are backed up. That is what I was warning against. :)

For important photographs of the kids, etc, it is still worth backing up to DVD and then send the disks to a relative to look after. If your house gets burgled, or the PC burns up in a fire, then any backup disks stored near by will also be gone.

Expect the unexpected. I usually quote the example of the Twin Towers in New York. Most of the companies based there would backup to the other tower as they knew the data would be safe as nothing could happen to both towers at the same time.....

When I do my backups and archives, I spread duplicates around my servers and various hard disks. Then make specific backups to DVD of the most valuable data. I don't bother making DVDs of my music. But I do make sure I cook all photos and business documents. :)

(BTW - I had to laugh at your comment of "low capacity" of a DVD. I remember having to backup to 1.4MB floppy disks.... Ouch!!)

Associate
External hdd are probably the best way, networked external hdd drives are even faster because you can transfer data to them by ethernet which is much faster than usb 2.0 or firewire.

Doesnt matter how fast the interface is, whether its usb2 or ethernet.. the bottleneck is the speed of the hard drive, and how fast it can read/write.. you will prob find that both of these interfaces can transfer data faster than most hard drives...

Soldato
Energize said:

not if its 100mbit lan like most people use.

usb2 is 480mbit.

gigabit lan is deffo faster than usb2 though.

Associate
I do suggest that if you are going for backing up stuff to external hdd's then dont have it in a maxtor. Myself and friends have had some real bad experiences with maxtor drives, which including dying randomly, head crashing and IO errors (which is what im getting on my current one)

Caporegime
DrMekon said:
Doesnt matter how fast the interface is, whether its usb2 or ethernet.. the bottleneck is the speed of the hard drive, and how fast it can read/write.. you will prob find that both of these interfaces can transfer data faster than most hard drives...

The maximum speed of a hdd is faster than usb2.0 and standard firewire in any case.

Back
Top Bottom