Best modem for Virgin Media, need some advice please.

Soldato
Having been a customer with BT for at least two decades, our dsl service began to get really bad. We had 20mb for years and then it went down to 8mb for no reason and has never gone back up.

They also failed to give us FTTP 900 when it was stated many times they could install it! (drawn out saga with the kelly openreach enginneers) and we were not happy to go with FTTC 50mb.

So we decided to join Virgin Media and order M500 fibre. Now I am aware there is not a lot of love for their modem hubs and the wifi is rubbish on them. Our daughter wifis everything so this has to be working as best as it can! not expecting lightning fast just reliable connections.

I have been attempting to gen up, read and watch youtube videos about how you can switch the hub3 into modem mode and the chuck in your own cable modem.

So, has anyone here with virgin media got a recommendation for the go-to modem that you would buy without thinking about it? I am a bit annoyed this has to be done but if this makes it all work as it should then its worth it.

I have been leaning towards Asus and Netgear, netgear more as they appear to be excellent.

I was looking at this one:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/netg...wifi-6-dual-band-gaming-router-nw-27a-ng.html

Tia.

Soldato
OP
A wireless access point in a strategic place would save you a lot of money, got a sh3 my desktop is connected via ethernet but everyone else uses wireless dont hear that many complaints i was expecting it to be worse, but depends on your house ours is all stud walls.

We live in a 3-bed 1940's+ semi.

The hub3 will end up in the far corner of the living room, as the virgin point is there on the wall.

Currently the old bt hub is under the stairs pretty much central in the house. When the dsl finally shuts off was thinking of just replacing it with something that can boost the signal from the hub3.

Sorry I am not 100% on all this. Which option would just make the signal better? Access point or range extender? I would rather not have to run a cable.

It has been a fair few years since I had to mess with all this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom