Best network for latency (not EE)

Associate
Hello,

I have wrote a few posts regarding 4G internet. I am currently on Three and the latency when doing tests were much higher than EE. However, I went into EE and for some reason their network only allows a "strict" NAT type. It's a know thing looking on the EE forums and for gaming that's not good. I'm wondering if 02 or vodaphone would be any better? I guess the only test would be to try them in a phone?

Associate
OP
What I didn't understand is that it said STRICT and my Xbox was saying double NAT. However, it was letting my friends connect to my games and letting me search games etc. Do you think it's OK? @Caged

Man of Honour
As above most if not all other networks have complications with NAT - for some reason, which doesn't make much sense*, how much impact it has seems to depend a bit on the router/modem as well - my TP-Link MR6400 seems to alleviate a lot of the issues while other devices I've tried with the same sim have been varied with some the NAT issue being so bad I can't even log into Steam.

EE seems the best for overall performance and gaming latency - Vodafone does reasonably well - I've found O2 much more mixed.

* Some devices are obviously going to handle it worse but it doesn't make much sense how some devices almost manage to work through the normal problems with it except in edge cases.

Associate
OP
@Rroff Thanks for a great reply. Do you think if it was allowing me to join party's with friends and play games and search games with them in the party it will overall be fine?

EE told me that if I wanted them to put an external antenna up (if I had poor signal) then I'd have to have one of their routers. I personally don't think that should be the case because I have a much better router in the TPLink MR600. I guess I could just get a standard TV person to put a antenna up?

Man of Honour
I've been using a Virgin Mobile plan (EE backhaul) with a TP-Link MR6400 to supplement my BT connection and it hasn't been a problem - takes a bit longer finding players in matchmaking in some games compared to the BT FTTC but so far not had any issues when paired with that router.

We also have an EE backup connection via some MikroTik kit in the loft due to people working from home now which is pretty similar but better latency, better upload though slightly lower max download for some reason than the VM connection but a bit more consistent.

For some reason my Vodafone 4G connection is playing up tonight - 200-300ms latency - usually it is fairly good but a step behind EE.

Associate
OP
@Rroff ... I'm so uncertain on what to do. As I said I'm currently on Three and I know the NAT type is open and moderate when I use it with a Ethernet cable. However, with EE as I said it was strict NAT and I changed something on the EE router and it went to double NAT. I was able to play with my friends and they could join my games and party's and they had a moderate NAT. It didn't take any longer to find a game either. This was for warzone by the way. I didn't get round to trying any other games because I was upset on how I couldn't change the NAT type and sent it back. Is Vodaphone the same for gaming? I definitely found the latency MUCH better for gaming on EE for the couple of days I had it compared to THREE. By the sounds of your experiences, you haven't had too much of a problem?

Soldato
Is there any chance someone could explain to me what Strict and moderate NAT is? These are not terms I’m familiar with and if I want to avoid NAT on EE I pay the £21/month for a fixed IP SIM card which allows for straightforward NAT at the router.

Associate
Used EE 4G for both main home broadband and via my phone ( hotspot ). Think both contracts are around £30 a month.

Never had a single issue with latency or a NAT problem.

Much higher latency on our main line ( if we used it ) as we can't get fibre :).

Caporegime
I'm not aware of any unlimited data 4G SIMs with fixed IP addresses. Everything I've found is the same as your Google search result - e.g. more than £1-per-GB.

Soldato
Have you tried asking EE? We have a company contract. Every additional SIM is £40 for unlimited data and £21 for the fixed IP address. That’s how we get them. We don’t have many as we have a ‘pool’ of SIMs but for some contracts you need a fixed IP address.

Associate
OP
Used EE 4G for both main home broadband and via my phone ( hotspot ). Think both contracts are around £30 a month.

Never had a single issue with latency or a NAT problem.

Much higher latency on our main line ( if we used it ) as we can't get fibre :).

What router are you using with the EE SIM? I'm tempted to buy out the Three contract and then that will allow the router to become unlocked which I can then use a EE SIM in there. It's a Huawei b535 so it's quite a good router they have provided. Have you also tried gaming on it?

Associate
What router are you using with the EE SIM? I'm tempted to buy out the Three contract and then that will allow the router to become unlocked which I can then use a EE SIM in there. It's a Huawei b535 so it's quite a good router they have provided. Have you also tried gaming on it?

I run a Asus AC53U, it doesn't handle any routing though, it's just the internet gateway. I have a separate router for DHCP and then gigabit around the house/outbuilding.

I've gamed on 4G via my phone for about 5 years now ( including when I've been in Belgium ) and I've never had an issue with latency or lag. Home connection is the same providing that 3/4 people aren't streaming Netflix.. :D

Normally play CS:GO and similar competitive games on it.

Associate
OP
I play warzone with a few friends and their pings like 50 odd and mines normally 20 higher, so around 70-80 maybe very slightly more than 20 more. Would I notice much difference with that 20 less latency? I'm currently on Three, but in my area I seem to pick up better download speeds than when I popped my EE SIM in the router? However, I get lower latency with EE so it's a choice between better DL speeds or better latency... I mean EE registered about 30 and my Three is around 55 at best on a speed checker. I seem to sometimes get lower pings when I use 3G only on the router as well? @Rroff @eagleuk @Caged @WJA96

Associate
I play warzone with a few friends and their pings like 50 odd and mines normally 20 higher, so around 70-80 maybe very slightly more than 20 more. Would I notice much difference with that 20 less latency? I'm currently on Three, but in my area I seem to pick up better download speeds than when I popped my EE SIM in the router? However, I get lower latency with EE so it's a choice between better DL speeds or better latency... I mean EE registered about 30 and my Three is around 55 at best on a speed checker. I seem to sometimes get lower pings when I use 3G only on the router as well? @Rroff @eagleuk @Caged @WJA96

I normally get anywhere from a stable 23ms up to around 35ms. Much better than broadband latency for me.

If it's 80-90ms that sounds like you are connected using 3G ( which I also used to have to use ) which was a fairly horrible thing to have to use for gaming.

Never had anywhere near that high ping on 4G no matter where in the country I've been and never had a problem whilst I've been in Belgium either.

Associate
OP
@WJA96 no that's what I'm saying..I haven't tried the same game on a better connection, so I wouldn't know.

And @eagleuk have you ever tried the three network? What sort of pings were you getting? I have a feeling because I live out where it's very hard to pick up a good signal it could be marginally affected. On a speed test I'm getting about 40-45 but when I go into a warzone game it's like 20 higher than that. I think it's the servers and how demanding it is with it being so popular and being cross platform?

Back
Top Bottom