Best phone under £100

Soldato
I'm looking for a new phone. My ***** Nokia is terrible. I can't even make out what people are saying on the phone, it's distorted and suffers from interference.

All I need it to do is phone, txt and that's pretty much it. However if it can do more then great.

I'd quite like it to be easy to txt, intuitive interface and have a colour screen... I don't need MP3, Facebook, Radio. Bluetooth would be nice.

I realise I don't require a lot. However I don't like cheap looking or plasticy £10 phones.

Cheers for any recommendations.

Soldato
OP
Looks a bit bulky and not very attractive to be honest. I don't use Facebook or Twitter, so it's really irrelevant for me. It would also just annoy me if I couldn't delete the icon.

However the battery life sounds alright.

Soldato
OP
The San Francisco isn't a good suggestion. I don't think the OP cares about smartphone features at all.

Correct. I will never use MP3, Facebook... anything.

It just needs to be clear when using the telephone, txting and look attractive (which doesn't necessarily mean touch screen with no bezels)

I like the small clamshells, they're attractive and practical. IMO.

Soldato
OP
My current phone is a Nokia something something. £35 or so. It's suffering all these issues and I don't like having to type the persons name in that I want to send a txt too. I like to be able to just scroll through and select.

I like all other makes and models however. If the Nokia wasn't a pile of tosh I'd be quite happy with it.

Soldato
OP
Nokia phones are generally fairly high quality and reliable.

I don't know a massive amount about 'old school' phones, but I can have a look around. What make do you prefer?

I used to have a Samsung E900 and loved it!

I've had Nokias in the past and they're generally alright, never played with a high end one though.

I had an LG Arena (KM900) and it's pretty terrible! So that put me off LG.

erm... thinking back, that's all my phones really. Nokia, Samsung and LG.

Soldato
OP
I'm liking the:

Samsung E1150i
Samsung S3100
Samsung S3550

Edit. I'm beginning to settle on the S3100. It resembles my old E900 slidey phone which I loved. It get's good reviews also.

I would like to use my current o2 PAYG sim. What's the best way to go about it. Buy an unlocked version? Buy an o2? A lot of people seem to require you buy a topup. Which I obviously don't want or need.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
He doesn't strike me as the kind of user that would want a cheap and cheerful phone that can do lots of things he doesn't care about and would provide an inferior phone experience (as an actual communications device).

Correct.

It's not that I'm not a techie person. I love tech and can use it too it's full advantage. However, I just want a classy simple sleek phone that does exactly that. Phone! Txt and has bluetooth so I can use it in the car.

I don't want android as I don't want to use any apps etc. My phone is purely for calling and txting.

I have other gizmos for all that fancy stuff.

Cheers. The reason I said under £100 was to allow me to get a quality unit. Not a cheap tatty "Just a phone."

Hope that makes sense.

Soldato
OP
Thats fair enough, In that case my suggestion is off the table for you.

I suggested an Android phone simply because it did a lot for the money and I personally consider that better value. After all its best to know all your options within your price range before you make your final choice ;)

...And to be fair you did make this comment aswell..

I actually do like the idea that some people still simply want a phone thats just a phone though, without all the extra stuff.

Cheers

I wasn't having a dig. I was very greatful of your suggestions. I personally don't like android as a platform. I've tried a few versions and just don't like it. I'm not an apple fan by any manner of means... however IOS for me is a lot easier/nicer to use.

The reason I want to avoid a smartphone is the terrible battery life you get with them. The cheap variations always seem to have underpowered processors and take an age to load basic functions like txting etc. There's a split second delay on launching most things. Unlike your £30 nokia, everything is just instantenous.

Back
Top Bottom