Best place to purchase alienware 15

Associate
Hi everyone again i have been thinking and looking at alienware laptops for a while and posting a few questions i am wanting it to play totalwar warhammer 2 and future total war ganes etc so wanting the gtx 1060 minimum maybe 1070 if possible.

I was looking at the dell outlet but by time add the vat on its quite pricey, seen a few people buy on ebay is there any certain sells you look for who are respected and give warranty ? I am wanting to spend £1200 max and want a future proof laptop that will last 3-4 years, no room for pc so need laptop and want to play total war on max setting obviously want a refurbished one but any one seen any great deals etc

Thanks dean and sorry to keep boring people with same questions just a lot of money but ready to take the plunge now

Soldato
Hi Dean,

You may possibly get a refurbished r3 15 for just under £1200 with a 1060, but a 1070 wouldn't be anytime soon unless you won it on bids on ebay.

Alternatively have you looked into other brands or are you pretty set on having an Alienware? You could always check ebay with filtering the search to 'Newest First'. So you don't miss out on any new listings which get snapped up quickly.

Associate
OP
Pretty set on alienware to be honest as said woulf get one for years love the look of them, will the 1060 be pretty future proof for total war games and last for a few uears playing them on max settings ? Will i not get any warranty from any stores on ebay selling refurbed alienwares ?

Thanks for replys

Soldato
I haven't ever played a total war hammer game so I do not know how graphically intensive/cpu intensive they are. Judging by youtube you would be better off with a 1070, although a 1060 may be sufficient if you can sacrifice some graphical settings, plus it seems to be very cpu intensive. Also, reading online the game doesn't seem to be optimised that much, so you could have a 1080 and still get some slow frame rates.

My opinion on this matter is just that, an opinion. I do not want to say it will be the best thing since sliced bread so only you can decide that. You could ask in the totalwarhammer2 forums to see what people suggest.

However, I will say when I played WoW I had a 7700hq/1060/16gb ram. I played on ultra settings minus shadow and some other setting and got 100+ fps in most locations. Used to drop to around 70 in RAIDS. I was quite impressed with the performance, the cpu/gpu combo is pretty good to be fair.

Ebay wise, there was a seller that I bought mine from with 37k feedback. He only seems to have dell xps15's at the moment. He did put an Alienware 17 R4 up with a 7820hk/1080/ which was sold rather quickly quite recently. I was given 1 years onsite warranty with dell so that was a peace of mind, as the BIOS update bricked my machine. It took two weeks for a new motherboard but I was kept in the loop and the customer service was very good.

Hope this helps.

Associate
OP
Thats helpful, someone said previously he was playing on ultra with the 1060 will look on ebay see if any 1070 for slightly more then will come back

There is currently one on ebay upto 800 wiyh 4 days left it has 1070 how much would you go upto for that ? Still has 6 months warranty left

Item no 132265510484

Or any certain questions you would ask the seller ?

Would you pay £1250 for ot os that a good deal

Saying that can get one from dell for 1350 woth ssd and i7 and 1070 so bit much i think 1250

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Well, not sure which person that was but from what I've read people are struggling with FPS on that game.

With regards to ebay bids, just bid as much as your budget allows, bare in mind once a item is used it's used. IT is not in a new condition, despite people saying 'as new'.

Just ask the seller if they've had any issues with the machine (most likely say no), ask the condition of it and if they will transfer warranty straight away.

Again, depends on your budget. If you can pick up a 1070 version for 1350, that is a good price.

Associate
OP
Think the 1070 is meant to be much better than the 1060 so i am wating a 1070 so future proof, i was looking at refurb ones anyway might be a while until the outlet has offers again, one on there at the minute for £1400 including vat which is a little out my budget and might be a while u til next discount codes

Alienware 15 - R3
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (4 Core,6M Cache, up to 3.5GHz, 45W)
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
16GB DDR4 SDRAM (2x8GB) 2400MHz Non-ECC
1 TB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
256GB PCIe M.2 Solid State Drive
NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
Software
Killer 1435 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1
LCD FHD cover Non Touch with Cam
Power Cord : 250V
Primary 6-cell 99W/HR Battery
15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits Display

Says scratch and dent but heard its normally a very small un noticable scratch

Soldato
The 1070 is meant to be the best value for money this generation, and unlike the last 9xx generation, these are desktop cards but just under clocked a little. Wait it out, sometimes the outlet has voucher codes which can be used to knock money off. Also, why not use the chat function to see if you can get some discount? You may get lucky.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Associate
OP
Mighy try the chat tomorro see if can get any discount on one will say i missed the last offer , might be worth a try

Thanks for the help mate

Associate
OP
I tried chat this morning and said they can give 2 percent off if order in chat but i want more than that off so will have to wait for codes and hope there is alienware 15 on with scratch or dent so cheaper and has 1070 in, dont know any students as they get 15 percent off so will keep checking, bit gutted but will keep checking

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi dean. That's a shame. There is a Alienware 15 r3 on eBay with a 1070. It's currently on bids but you could try upto your budget to see if you win it? You could contact the seller to see if it still has warranty and any other questions you may have.

Associate
OP
Yeah i already emailed the seller about it, has 6 month warranty left and will see how the bidding goes, not sure if trust someone on ebay as much as the outlet though

Soldato
Just keep an eye on it and see what it goes for if anything. eBay is not all bad, surprisingly whenever I have bought tech off there it's always been fine without issues. Just have to purchase off those with good seller feedback.

Associate
OP
There is also thos alienware 17 for sale for £1350
I7 6820hk upto 3.6 - 4.1 ghz

8GB DDR4 Ram 2400mhz

1 TB HDD 7200rpm and 3 spare slots for Nvme or m.2 drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Samsung GDDR5 memory plus Intel iGPU

Built in Wireless 1535 killer suit

Windows 10 Home 64 bit

UK Power plug and adapter

USB 3.0 Technology

Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type c)

Integrated Bluetooth

Would prefer a smaller 15 tbh but still seems decent

Soldato
Both are huge machines, 17 is a monster. They are great though, very powerful and will be great for anything you can throw at it.

I saw a 15 r3 in person the other day for the first time and I was amazed how big it is, I wouldn't want to carry it round but if that is no concern to you then it will be fine.

Associate
OP
Well i took the plunge i ordered a alienware 15 r3, i7 with 1tb hdd and 256 gb ssd, 16gb ram and a gtx 1070 so very exited, had the 20 percent off today so thought go for it, a lot of money but hopefully lasts for years and keeps up woth latest total war games etc for few years

I read a few people who say going to send back and they offer more discount is that correct ?

Thanks dean

Back
Top Bottom