Best Places to Get Answer to General Web Design Questions

Soldato
Hi Guys

Where do you find online are the best places to ask general web design questions? For example, I want to ask about the techniques used for displaying browser wide photos and scaling, so where would be the best place to ask this question? (Apart from here).

Thanks

Soldato
StackOverflow is very finnicky about the questions you ask there. If it's an open ended question ('How do I do image scaling?') then you'll probably be downvoted and closed. If you ask about a specific problem ('I'm trying to do image scalaing and my code isn't working because X') then you'll get some help, so long as you show your code in the question.

If you want to ask general questions I'd say here is a good place to start as there's plenty of experience around :)

Soldato
Good point. They are very militant about how to ask a question there. Took me quite a few attempts to get my first question past the formatnazis there.

I can understand why as it helps with others searching similar issues but it's not very noob friendly.

Soldato
The various channels on IRC's freenode server can be helpful. They're certainly more accepting of casual, open-ended questions compared to something like SO although asking stuff like "which is the best IDE" within some programming language channel is frowned upon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom