Best Retro Handheld

Can't believe how much I'm playing with the Odin 2 - basically just been going through some PS2 stuff that I loved playing back in the day and a few I never managed to own but I think I've spent more time over the weekend gaming on PS2, GameCube and PS1 stuff than I've done with modern games for a long time; not even started looking at any NDS stuff I played or the older SNES/N64 and Mega Drive Stuff I want to revisit!

Also works really well plugged into a larger screen; I've got a a few different retro and modern gamepads for the various systems so its great fun getting to play this stuff upscaled and working! Weren't games just better before the endless march of crap, broken launches and micro-transactions?

SP arrived and have set up MUOS.

Still having a play but not sure I'm going to keep this yet. A number of positives and negatives.

I like the fact it doesn't really need a case so is very portable. Although it is fairly chunky so is pocketable but you certainly know it is there. I'd still like a little slip case or something to be honest.

This is the newer model with supposedly quieter buttons, they are still quite loud and clicky to me, will need to try a few more games to see how they really are.

The top (behind the screen) looks to be poorly finished with some tape or something and being transparent is pretty obvious. I have seen this can be customised by disassembling the top part but not sure I really want to be doing that.

I was going to get the silver version which would have hidden this but wanted to be sure I had the newer model so went for the red.

Isn't the most ergonomic of devices, just like my original SP, but convenience and portability may out weight that, I'm sorely tempted by the XX version of the Cube now.

Might order it and compare the two and return one. I really did like the idea of the RGB30, was just poorly made so a decent version of that would be nice.

Are the aubernic devices able to use Bluetooth headsets?

Mine can find them via Bluetooth but don't pass audio. Should've researched this :/

Mine can find them via Bluetooth but don't pass audio. Should've researched this :/
Depends which Anbernic device.
RG Cube works perfectly with bluetooth headphones.
Older devices like the RG35XX / XXH, SP it's not supported. (Or wasnt when I had them)

Last edited:
So I've ordered an RG CubeXX and will send back the SP.

I like the idea of the clamshell but the buttons are just too clicky and the dpad isn't very nice to use, and its noisy too.

The mono speaker also didn't sound particularly good.

I can see why it works for a lot of people, and for £60 it's good value.

The device itself is obviously a vertical but I need something wider for my old man hands.

Rg35xxh definitely supports Bluetooth headphones.

I would guess, based on that, that all the similar devices with the same CPU, also support it (All winner h700?).

Edit: caveat, I was using either knulli or batocera, no idea of the anbernic OS might not have support/drivers for BT audio.

rp2000

Rg35xxh definitely supports Bluetooth headphones.

I would guess, based on that, that all the similar devices with the same CPU, also support it (All winner h700?).

Edit: caveat, I was using either knulli or batocera, no idea of the anbernic OS might not have support/drivers for BT audio.

rp2000

Yeah they just don't connect it seems when I click on them. The OS gives no confirmation and they don't show as connected. I'll try another pair of headphones then maybe a different OS.

Can't believe how much I'm playing with the Odin 2 - basically just been going through some PS2 stuff that I loved playing back in the day and a few I never managed to own but I think I've spent more time over the weekend gaming on PS2, GameCube and PS1 stuff than I've done with modern games for a long time; not even started looking at any NDS stuff I played or the older SNES/N64 and Mega Drive Stuff I want to revisit!

Also works really well plugged into a larger screen; I've got a a few different retro and modern gamepads for the various systems so its great fun getting to play this stuff upscaled and working! Weren't games just better before the endless march of crap, broken launches and micro-transactions?
Which model Odin 2 you got? After watching Retro corps I'm going to buy the Base model. He recommends that would be sweet spot but if you like different colour other than black then get the pro. I'm happy with black and I'll add a 1Tb sd card.

Edit: looking back I see you have the Pro. Is it worth me getting if I only want black?

Last edited:
SP arrived and have set up MUOS.

Still having a play but not sure I'm going to keep this yet. A number of positives and negatives.

I like the fact it doesn't really need a case so is very portable. Although it is fairly chunky so is pocketable but you certainly know it is there. I'd still like a little slip case or something to be honest.

This is the newer model with supposedly quieter buttons, they are still quite loud and clicky to me, will need to try a few more games to see how they really are.

The top (behind the screen) looks to be poorly finished with some tape or something and being transparent is pretty obvious. I have seen this can be customised by disassembling the top part but not sure I really want to be doing that.

I was going to get the silver version which would have hidden this but wanted to be sure I had the newer model so went for the red.

Isn't the most ergonomic of devices, just like my original SP, but convenience and portability may out weight that, I'm sorely tempted by the XX version of the Cube now.

Might order it and compare the two and return one. I really did like the idea of the RGB30, was just poorly made so a decent version of that would be nice.

I have been on the fence about the SP since it came out, guess I won’t be getting one. With a screen protector on the regular versions I baby it a lot less.

Which model Odin 2 you got? After watching Retro corps I'm going to buy the Base model. He recommends that would be sweet spot but if you like different colour other than black then get the pro. I'm happy with black and I'll add a 1Tb sd card.

Edit: looking back I see you have the Pro. Is it worth me getting if I only want black?

This is getting out of hand now. I've bought the Odin 2 Pro now. :D I Maybes should cancel the Retroid Pocket 5. Anyone know how easy that is to do with retroid?

Honestly I only really bought it because of the colour and it was freely available! (Picked it up at CEX) - I'm not sure its going to make any difference for anything but maybe Switch and maybe some PC/Winlator stuff?

I've done my research on the Odin 2 and struggled to find a single bad review anywhere. Seems like the one for me. So I cancelled my pre order with Retroid for the pocket 5, it was easy to do by the way. And I've ordered the Odin 2 Pro the one with the red green yellow buttons. So that's steam deck, RG cube and Odin 2 now. I was warned it's addictive and I know there's a new Odin out soon so. :p

I've done my research on the Odin 2 and struggled to find a single bad review anywhere. Seems like the one for me. So I cancelled my pre order with Retroid for the pocket 5, it was easy to do by the way. And I've ordered the Odin 2 Pro the one with the red green yellow buttons. So that's steam deck, RG cube and Odin 2 now. I was warned it's addictive and I know there's a new Odin out soon so. :p
I have an Odin 2 and it's very good but not without flaws. I have the base model in black.

Can't knock the emulation performance, PS2 Burnout at full speed is superb, my favourite is probably PSP though, in particular the Wipeout games (I still have my original UMDs).

Battery is huge and given it is Android has decent power saving so I can come back a couple of weeks later and still has juice.

The screen is very good too.

My biggest gripe build wise is with the buttons and dpad, they feel a bit cheap considering this is a £300 device.

And the plastic overall isn't the nicest quality, at least on the black base model, in my opinion.

The reason I don't use it much day to day even at home is the size and weight, it's over 400g and very bulky. If you are coming from a Steam Deck then it probably feels like a micro handheld though... :)

And as it is expensive I'm always conscious when I travel with it, just an added stress I don't need. Having a cheap, easily replaceable device works for me.

Not wanting to rain on your parade, my issues are more personal preference and I hope you love it.

What screen does the Odin 2 Pro have? The screen on the Retroid pocket mini really makes the device, its outstanding colour wise and brightness. Better than my iPhone 15 pro!
The mini has its problems too, but they're by far outweighedby good points. My gripe is clicky face buttons and my T2 R2 triggers have squeaky / creaky springs - Retroid are sending me replacements with a toolkit to fit new ones. They said if they still dont work they'll send me a new device :)

I have an Odin 2 and it's very good but not without flaws. I have the base model in black.

Can't knock the emulation performance, PS2 Burnout at full speed is superb, my favourite is probably PSP though, in particular the Wipeout games (I still have my original UMDs).

Battery is huge and given it is Android has decent power saving so I can come back a couple of weeks later and still has juice.

The screen is very good too.

My biggest gripe build wise is with the buttons and dpad, they feel a bit cheap considering this is a £300 device.

And the plastic overall isn't the nicest quality, at least on the black base model, in my opinion.

The reason I don't use it much day to day even at home is the size and weight, it's over 400g and very bulky. If you are coming from a Steam Deck then it probably feels like a micro handheld though... :)

And as it is expensive I'm always conscious when I travel with it, just an added stress I don't need. Having a cheap, easily replaceable device works for me.

Not wanting to rain on your parade, my issues are more personal preference and I hope you love it.
I appreciate the feedback thanks. I'm just loving handheld gaming at the moment getting the SD has been an eye opener for me. Just can't be bothered to sit at my desk and it's so convenient sitting in bed say. I'm not expecting miracles from the OD2 pro but it for me ticks the boxes. As long as it works well with retro games and ive heard it does then I'll be happy. If not I'll just sell it.

Back
Top Bottom