• Simpson

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Ivanovic

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • Other (Please post who)

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
It's hard to pick as none really stand out, but probably between Sagna, Walker and Richards, as their strengths probably outweigh their weaknesses. The nature of the full back position now is that players will either be renowned attackers or defenders and criticised for whichever aspect of their game they do not possess, it's simply impossible to be as good at both.

Unless you're Ashley Cole ;)

Caporegime
He was **** under AVB and first season I've really though he's been below par, he might not have been at his absolute best the last year or two but most players aren't at their best every single year, he was still excellent. Under AVB though, the system sucked, he was REALLY bad in a lot of games. Within a couple games of AVB going Cole was in excellent form and in the past what 6 weeks he's been absolutely outstanding. Hate the guy, have really always hated the guy, but epic left back.

Man of Honour
Personally I get really annoyed when people automatically assume that fullbacks who are effective in the opposition half must be suspect defensively. Ashley Cole used to get a lot of unfair criticism based on this, being tarred with the same brush as Glen Johnson, but he'd always get back in position and very rarely got caught out.

Some attacking fullbacks can be a genuine liability, e.g. Andre Santos = one man offside trap, Glen Johnson (as good as they come going forward, albeit a tad obsessed with cutting inside for left-foot shots) gets caught out of position quite a lot too. Clichy has a lot of pace so can recover from being caught upfield most of the time.

To answer the original question, I voted for Richards but there was no massive standout candidate for me, as he doesn't play every week.

Caporegime
Continuing on then from the Goalkeeper thread which I think it's fair to say Hart nailed pretty convincingly comes the RB position. Again if Andy/Rotty/Gilly can make this a poll I'd like to nominate the following....

G.Johnson
Sagna
Richards
Zabaleta
Walker
Simpson
Ivanovic
and I can't think of anymore :o

Like I said before I think the maximum number of possible entries is 10 so if anyone wants to make anymore suggestions before the poll is made go ahead :)

EDIT: Remember guys this isn't just based on this season :)

If we're talking about Right backs but we don't have to base it just on this season surely you can include older right backs?

Would it not of been fairer to say, who has been the best this season, based on just this season?

Soldato
OP
If we're talking about Right backs but we don't have to base it just on this season surely you can include older right backs?

Would it not of been fairer to say, who has been the best this season, based on just this season?

No because I'm not looking to gauge an all time PL XI but rather who's the best right now, for example going back to the Keepers thread Hart won by a landslide but were people voting for him because of the season he has or do people genuinely feel he's a better keeper overall than the likes of Reina/Cech?

Back
Top Bottom