Best ultrawide £400-600 work/gaming.

Associate
Looking for some suggestions on a new monitor.

Currently have a Dell G3223D 32" 1440p which I love but could use some extra real estate and I don't like dual monitors.

Will be used 90% for work (Web and office apps mostly).

Would love USB-C 65w + but not a deal breaker.

Been looking at the Gigabyte M34WQ and the AOC AG344UXM so far but never owned either brand.

Noticed the Dell Oled ultrawide on sale but reading reviews I see a lot of people complaining about burn in and watching the RTings videos about it didn't reassure me too much either. Monitor can go a long time during meetings with static content.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Looking for some suggestions on a new monitor.

Currently have a Dell G3223D 32" 1440p which I love but could use some extra real estate and I don't like dual monitors.

Will be used 90% for work (Web and office apps mostly).

Would love USB-C 65w + but not a deal breaker.

Been looking at the Gigabyte M34WQ and the AOC AG344UXM so far but never owned either brand.

Noticed the Dell Oled ultrawide on sale but reading reviews I see a lot of people complaining about burn in and watching the RTings videos about it didn't reassure me too much either. Monitor can go a long time during meetings with static content.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

hi mate, I use the Gigabyte M34WQ as my work monitor. Works really well and the kvm comes in very useful. I have my work laptop connect by usb-c, though it is only 15w power delivery. I have used it for a bit of gaming and it is fine. You loose some immersion from it being a flat monitor but as it will be manly a work monitor I wouldn't flag this as an issue.

I dont know much about the AOC AG344UXM but there is a good review here

Subscribed. I'm also in the market for my first ultrawide monitor, upgrading from a 27" 144Hz MSI monitor.
That Gigabyte above looks ideal....but I'd really like a curved display.

The AOC seems a bit weird but the price we t down to 426 and it has a 90w kvm. If it turns out to be a bit rubbish I will return it and grab a Gigabyte.

Arrives tomorrow will update.

it depends what you want to use the monitor for. If it just gaming then I would suggest to look at the dell AW3423DWF curved oled
I do work from home regularly, but gaming will be the main use, so I'll buy based on that. My current 16:9 monitor is curved and it's no issue for work.

EDIT: Seems like cracking reviews across the board and it £650 from Dell direct. Think that's me sorted!

Last edited:
I almost bought the AlienWare mentioned above (it is down to £650 atm, plus I get another 5%). However it doesn't do USB-C PD etc. So it doesn't fit the WFH bill totally (for me anyway).

I would have loved a built in KVM module like the Gigabyte, would have reduced desktop clutter a bit...especially if it switches automatically when you change the monitor source. Nothing says opulence like having one less button to press :D
However, it's mainly for pleasure rather than business, so I'll take that compromise.

For me, I'm not sure i could cope with the blurry text on the "older" OLEDs if 90% of your use is working, so would need to look at the new 32" OLEDs if i was going down that route. I'm coming from dual 27" 1440ps though, and want to consolidate to a single monitor and think a single 32 wouldn't do the job as i currently use one machine per monitor.

So it feels like the ideal would be a 1600p ultrawide that allows dual inputs at once. The 38" ultrawide LG 38WR85QC looks ideal, with a built in KVM and USB-C PD etc, 144hz and gsync/freesync etc. I nearly bought it last week when a shop had it reduced to £599 but it's back up to £699 now, will likely pull the trigger when it's back down. I think OLED 1600p 38" are a way off as nobody has even announced one yet!

For me, I'm not sure i could cope with the blurry text on the "older" OLEDs if 90% of your use is working, so would need to look at the new 32" OLEDs if i was going down that route. I'm coming from dual 27" 1440ps though, and want to consolidate to a single monitor and think a single 32 wouldn't do the job as i currently use one machine per monitor.

So it feels like the ideal would be a 1600p ultrawide that allows dual inputs at once. The 38" ultrawide LG 38WR85QC looks ideal, with a built in KVM and USB-C PD etc, 144hz and gsync/freesync etc. I nearly bought it last week when a shop had it reduced to £599 but it's back up to £699 now, will likely pull the trigger when it's back down. I think OLED 1600p 38" are a way off as nobody has even announced one yet!
I get 20% on LG products through my employer but unfortunately that model isn't listed :(

hi mate, I use the Gigabyte M34WQ as my work monitor. Works really well and the kvm comes in very useful. I have my work laptop connect by usb-c, though it is only 15w power delivery. I have used it for a bit of gaming and it is fine. You loose some immersion from it being a flat monitor but as it will be manly a work monitor I wouldn't flag this as an issue.

How is the 15w power delivery with your work laptop? Does it keep it topped up? What is the battery like at the end of the day?

It seems a lot of monitors only provide 15w. Seems a strange decision; I can't imagine it would cost much more for them to include 65w+ :/

Got the AOC, really pleased with it. It's very heavy and thick but feels very high quality. Picture is really good and I have minimal IPS glow and just a touch of backlight bleed in the top right corner. The HDR looks really good which surprised me, but you need to make sure local dimming is left off unless your watching a movie or playing a game (doubt I will use HDR much with my usage).

Pros:
+Really solid build.
+Solid picture.
+Pretty even uniformity (lottery).
+90w KVM working a treat, nice long cable
Speakers surprisingly decent if you need them.
+HDR looks great, however local dimming is terrible in desktop.

Cons:
-Stand is comically big, 80cm deep desk and the monitor was practically in the middle when on the stand.
-Had some weird whine, turned out to be the speakers, lowering volume to 0 fixed.
-Matt finish on screen might not be for everyone, reminds me of the old Dell ultrasharps.
-Ports not deep enough in the back, ordered some right angled cables as I can see the kettle lead/DP peaking at the back.

Would recommend for someone with the desk space or a decent strong monitor arm (I use a gas monitor arm which thankfully can handle 10kg), the 90w KVM is a real bonus over the Gigabytes 15w which was what swayed me.

I seen it released at a ridiculous price a couple of years back which I don't think the technology was worth, however it does come across in the build quality, feels premium.

How is the 15w power delivery with your work laptop? Does it keep it topped up? What is the battery like at the end of the day?

It seems a lot of monitors only provide 15w. Seems a strange decision; I can't imagine it would cost much more for them to include 65w+ :/
hi mate, it does get flagged by the dell laptop as not enough power (I think it wants 45w) but works fine and keeps it charged. I have never had to use the external power brick

Dell AW4323DWF arrived today.

nlSHtwF.jpg

Not even played games properly on it yet and I'm already very impressed. There's something very satisfying about setting the desktop background to pure black, turning the monitor off, and only being able to tell it's actually off because the mouse cursor disappears.
Great shout @jabski :)

Last edited:

nlSHtwF.jpg

Not even played games properly on it yet and I'm already very impressed. There's something very satisfying about setting the desktop background to pure black, turning the monitor off, and only being able to tell it's actually off because the mouse cursor disappears.

Glad your happy with it mate. Enjoy

nlSHtwF.jpg

Comparable in any way to an iMac display?

Comparable in any way to an iMac display?
I couldn't tell you I'm afraid, don't recall ever seeing one in the flesh.

One minor hiccup. After a few days, I found that the USB hub wasn't working...I hadn't used it at all, but I wanted to update the firmware which it does via the USB connection which serves the hub. Raised a ticket with Dell, but then managed to dig out another cable (it's a USB-B connector, like a printer) and found that worked fine. Updated the support case with Dell telling them no worries, just seems to be a faulty cable, can they send a replacement?

Got an email today, basically saying "your replacement monitor arrives tomorrow, please prepare your old one to send back minus documentation and cables". Checked the shipment info because I couldn't believe they would insist on sending a whole new monitor, and get me to send the old one back when there's nothing wrong with it, and it lists the only part they're sending out as a new stand (??) and a new AC power cord.

Have sent them a rather urgent email back asking them to clarify exactly wtf they are doing. Literally only need a USB cable. They've replied and acknowledged, but I suspect UPS might turn up tomorrow anyway. Had I known it would be this much of a faff, I would have just sucked it up and bought my own replacement off Amazon or somewhere.

Still. The monitor is fabulous. Still fiddling with HDR settings, which are all a bit new to me, but its looking great :)

Back
Top Bottom