Best value steak restaurants

Man of Honour
Despite some of the negative comments, I always find Miller & Carter good for the price. Usually easy to access and park, too.

Soldato
Enjoyed Hawksmoor i wish i could get breakfast there gain.
I would avoid Gaucho

Yeah that breakfast was amazing. I used to live nearby to the Spitalfields one and would go for breakfast every other fortnight. Was so disappointed when they stopped doing it... although it was probably for my own benefit!

I've been going for years and have been to a fair few of their restaurants. Recently went to the Edinburgh one and was left rather nonplussed by the whole experience.

Lovely building and the smoked salmon starter was great, but my steak was blackened and missed the medium rare mark somewhat. The desert, a maple tart, hadn't set properly and was basically liquid.

The thing that really got me was the wine - almost a five times mark-up! Couldn't believe it when I got home and realised. Turning a £25 bottle of wine into a £115 bottle is an absolute con.

It's seriously impacted how I view them as a restaurant and doubt I'll go back again. I used to enjoy Goodman, and although it doesn't quite have the overall level of hawksmoor, I still have enjoyed my trips there.

Last edited:
Associate
The thing that really got me was the wine - almost a five times mark-up! Couldn't believe it when I got home and realised. Turning a £25 bottle of wine into a £115 bottle is an absolute con.

It's seriously impacted how I view them as a restaurant and doubt I'll go back again. I used to enjoy Goodman, and although it doesn't quite have the overall level of hawksmoor, I still have enjoyed my trips there.

The ribeye is only £13 more than a local though so it's good value.

Associate
I'd probably say Steak & Co for better value - hotstones are awesome plus cheaper than Hawksmoor and almost as good steak :)

Hawksmoor is amazing though I must admit, but I ran up a £200 bill for 2 people last time I went without too much effort :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Haven't been for ages, but Hawksmoor was my go to when I lived in London. Not cheap, but not bad value either. The corkage days when you can take your own wine make it much more affordable.

Now I'll just get a couple of fillet steams from Tori and Ben's (farm shop near me), costs best part of 30 quid usually, grab a bottle from Pierre ( https://www.hourlierwines.co.uk/pro...oup-clos-des-jean-de-farjou?variant=798685329 is my go to steak wine), then bust out the cast iron pan and cook it properly my self...

Soldato
Hawksmore and Goodman are the only places I've been where steak has actually been worth the money. I'd consider that good value and if I wanted steak wouldn't hesitate to go to either one and budget accordingly.

I've heard Flat Iron is nice and would certainly be cheaper but don't get the variety.

Associate
If you're ever in Wimbledon, Richmond, Chiswick or down south outside of the M25 I highly recommend www.barestaurant.com Not cheap (steak isn't these days) but some amazing cuts of Argentinian Angus, and fantastic Malbecs too.

Soldato
Not cheap (steak isn't these days) but some amazing cuts of Argentinian Angus, and fantastic Malbecs too.

Maybe not from a restaurant, but you can buy decent steak cheaply. I bought 2kgs of grass feed Argentinian Ribeye for £60 (on special) from https://tomhixson.co.uk/products/argentine-grass-fed-ribeye-1?variant=47253982871863 It comes as one piece of ribeye and I just cut it into thick steaks and vacuum pack it and stick in the freezer what I dont eat on the day. I just tend to wait buy the specials

Last edited:

img

img

Associate
I wouldn't bother with prices now going to a steak place and would just order from Tom hixson as had some excellent stuff there.

Associate
Been to Hawksmoor five/six times and Goodmans a few times. Hawksmoor not so good last couple of times so not been back since (circa 2016) and post their expansion, Goodman's always been very good.
I tend not to order steak in a none-steakhouse restaurant anymore as normally end up disappointed, and around £25-£30 for an 8oz sirloin is too much money for what I've experienced in most places.

I second Spoons though, used to go there on a Sunday for steak brunch, bargain for £10-£11 and no joke when I say better than most places charging two or three times as much.

Associate
Ate at the Fortnum and Mason bar in the Royal Exchange yesterday evening.
I had the 250g sirloin and it was excellent, one of the better cuts I've had, and cooked extremely well, would recommend!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom