Best video doorbell....

Soldato
I've found Reolink support the be very good, quick response with any opened support tickets, like in less than a hour sometimes. Willing to replace any faulty camera within the warranty period,

Last edited:
Soldato
Well just replaced my 3/4 year old Ring Pro with the Eufy E340 Dual Camera with Chime and so much better.

Still having a few issues with setting it up with Alexa and my Echo Show's had it working then messed around and messed it up now can't get it working again.

Other than that, night and day difference, even uses the ring transformer I used to power my Pro - only thing I had to do was drill two new holes to attach it to the wall.

Soldato
Our Reolink video doorbell is approaching a year old soon and has behaved much better than the Ring it replaced.

Just updated the memory card to a much better type, which wasn't that expensive and not anything I would add as a negative.

Soldato
It would appear from a quick search that it went up to £49.99 for a basic plan in March.

I could see this coming when it went from £24.99 to £34.99 and am glad I dropped them then.

That's why I ended up switching over to the Eufy, when I originally got the bell it was like £15-20 and now it's double/triple that.

Man of Honour
It would appear from a quick search that it went up to £49.99 for a basic plan in March.

I could see this coming when it went from £24.99 to £34.99 and am glad I dropped them then.

I pay the £80 a year package. Don’t care, I’d pay double, it’s worth every penny to me. Has worked flawlessly so far. Person detection around the entire perimeter of the house is invaluable.

Imagine paying 50 bucks a year for a problem that never existed until video door bells existed lol.

Not so, I always miss people at the door when gaming or in the gym/garden. We also never used to get almost every item delivered to the door.

Last edited:
Soldato
I pay the £80 a year package. Don’t care, I’d pay double, it’s worth every penny to me. Has worked flawlessly so far. Person detection around the entire perimeter of the house is invaluable.

Not so, I always miss people at the door when gaming or in the gym/garden. We also never used to get almost every item delivered to the door.

Congratulations and I hope you continue to not care and enjoy ;)

Soldato
I’m going to ask this on the Reolink forums but wondered what you lot thought. I have the Reolink WiFi doorbell and it’s great. Currently just have the SD card as storage, obviously not ideal if someone turns up and pulls it off the mount before robbing us. (For example)

I plan to build a simple home server as a bit of a project. So is it worth trying to dual boot a homebrew NVR system just for one doorbell? The Reolink app has built-in FTP upload, so I could keep it simple and do that to my server. But I’m guessing it’s a question of speed… The files presumably wouldn’t start uploading until they finished recording. In which case aforementioned robber might have already taken the doorbell or something. Whereas an NVR would already have been recording as it happened, right? :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m going to ask this on the Reolink forums but wondered what you lot thought. I have the Reolink WiFi doorbell and it’s great. Currently just have the SD card as storage, obviously not ideal if someone turns up and pulls it off the mount before robbing us. (For example)

I plan to build a simple home server as a bit of a project. So is it worth trying to dual boot a homebrew NVR system just for one doorbell? The Reolink app has built-in FTP upload, so I could keep it simple and do that to my server. But I’m guessing it’s a question of speed… The files presumably wouldn’t start uploading until they finished recording. In which case aforementioned robber might have already taken the doorbell or something. Whereas an NVR would already have been recording as it happened, right? :confused:
Don't reinvent the wheel.........get a cheap Dell Optiplex from marketplace, throw a bit disk in it, spend 40 quid on BlueIris. No need for dual boot nonsense.

Also how likely is someone to rob your doorbell SD card, being realistic... if there isn't a problem don't fix it.

Associate
I switched from Google to Eufy and it's going well so far. Interesting hearing about Reolink, I always considered them a knock off relabelled brand. I was obviously wrong!

Soldato
Don't reinvent the wheel.........get a cheap Dell Optiplex from marketplace, throw a bit disk in it, spend 40 quid on BlueIris. No need for dual boot nonsense.
Well I have an old mini cube case that’d look nice on the desk. That was my idea, but I didn’t realise you can get some of those refurbished Dells for like £70, mental. But I did want to use it as a backup too. Can I do that when running Blue Iris as an NVR? What OS does Blue Iris run? Anything?

And yes, hopefully very unlikely for someone to nick the doorbell, but you never know..

Man of Honour
Well I have an old mini cube case that’d look nice on the desk. That was my idea, but I didn’t realise you can get some of those refurbished Dells for like £70, mental. But I did want to use it as a backup too. Can I do that when running Blue Iris as an NVR? What OS does Blue Iris run? Anything?

And yes, hopefully very unlikely for someone to nick the doorbell, but you never know..
It runs on Windows. If you get an old workstation, make sure it has a CPU which supports Intel Quicksync.

What you could do is run something like TrueNAS on it, and pass through the GPU to a Windows VM. That way you can spin up containers for pretty much whatever you want.

Soldato
Same I think if you have one camera the sub is a bit meh, but if you have the security system + multi cams etc - then £80 is fine. I paid more for monitoring in my old fashioned alarm system that wasn't nearly as useful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom