Best way to change coins into notes?

Associate
Hey, as the title says I have loads of coins that I want to be changed into notes, £206 in 50p pieces down to 1p pieces to be precise.

I know supermarkets have those machines that do it but they take a 7.5% cut which would be a fair bit.

Anyone know how it works when you take it into a bank? Do you have to put the coins into seperate bags with certain amounts in each or can you take it all in one go?

Cheers

Oh i'm with the Halifax btw

You need to bag it up, but yes you can change it over the counter. You don't even have to do it with your bank, and AFAIK they prefer changing to cash to putting it in your account.

Yes Banks will only take it when coins are sorted out into the same values, so all 50p's all 1p's etc etc. Don't think they need to be in any value say £5 of 50p's as they have a handy counting machine.

My local HSBC has a coin sorting machine.
Free of charge you get a slip & exchange it over the counter for cash or deposit.

You need to bag it up, but yes you can change it over the counter. You don't even have to do it with your bank, and AFAIK they prefer changing to cash to putting it in your account.

my wife went to change some pennies at lloylds TSB and they wouldnt just exchange them she had to deposit them into her bank

My local Sainsbury store has a coin machine that gives you a voucher to take over to checkout to be paid in notes. There is no charge for this service so check with a couple of your local stores. :)

My local Sainsbury store has a coin machine that gives you a voucher to take over to checkout to be paid in notes. There is no charge for this service so check with a couple of your local stores. :)
Ooh, will have to check our Sainsbury's too. Chavda have a machine but they charge you for using it, and I'm a cheapskate so won't use it when I know I can get it done for free at my bank or building society.

edit:
I think you'll find you are wrong. They do charge a fee.
damn, that's what I thought but was hoping I was wrong.

With Halifax you can get the money bags then you can deposit something like 5 a day, the amount you can put in each bag is printed on the side but you can't mix the coins - just go in and ask for some money bags and how often you can pay them in, I'm not sure of the 5 bags a day is a branch specific thing or a nationwide policy

Some banks have a change machine, you put your bank card in, and then empty all the change into a "tray" in the machine and put it in. It then counts it and add it into your account immediately. I've only seen it Barclays in Cardiff though. When my sister went in with almost £1k in £2 coins in bags, they actually opened up all the bags and put it in that machine. That was time wasted putting them into bags !

With Halifax you can get the money bags then you can deposit something like 5 a day, the amount you can put in each bag is printed on the side but you can't mix the coins - just go in and ask for some money bags and how often you can pay them in, I'm not sure of the 5 bags a day is a branch specific thing or a nationwide policy

I think it is quite common, particularly in smaller branches to have a limit on the amount of bags you can hand across, the usual excuse given is a limit on safe storage space. Some banks don't seem to bother whether you've got an account with them but I suspect most do.

Back
Top Bottom