Best way to copy contect from old site to new

Associate
**Hi please move post if in wrong section**
We are changing our website platform as the guys we have been with for 10+ years have brought out a new platform and its just not working we are loosing sales cause its not complete blah blah.

So we are going with a platform that we have 2 other sites with nice build perfect.

Now the question is we are manually moving each product over as we have duplicate content and old products, we can choose what to take with us and effectively start again.

I hear bad things about simply copying product descriptions and pasting into new site as its bad for seo and google will blacklist new site?

How true are these comments?

As i own website 1 and hand wrote the descriptions i guess it means they are mine? so copying is not breaching any copyright bits and pieces.

Trying to make it as pain free as possible so copying all wording etc would be a big help.

Thanks

Soldato
I'm not an SEO expert by any means but if you're keeping the same domain the only thing I can imagine being an issue would be if the new IP is flagged in googles DNS. This is assuming you're changing hosting not just the backend.

Soldato
Ensure you either keep the same URL structure and keep the URLs the same or do a 301 redirect. Ensure you have a 404 page set up and keep an eye on search console for 404 errors being reported.

Source: I do quite a bit of SEO work :p

e; If you can't keep the structure then create a new sitemap and submit it to Google and Bing - Still keep the same content though. If you have some strong backlinks, let me know so they can be updated.

Last edited:
Associate
if you are copy pasting the content from old website to new website, you should disavow the old website & deindex the old website from Google so that you wont hit by google plenty. after this, index you new website to google search engine :)

Back
Top Bottom