Best way to sell my car

Soldato
New car arriving Monday.

Need to sell my old one.

Autotrader was going to be my go to option, its around a £20 fixed fee for 2 weeks advert or a bit more for 3 weeks. I was hoping that AT would suggest a guide price, but it won't because of the car age. This is disappointing.

Its a 2005 BMW 325i (straight six 2.5l N52 petrol engine), SE trim, tourer.

Mileage 122000.

FSH with recent repair work on a number of items which includes new aux belt, electric coolant pump, valve and oil housing gaskets, gearbox filter and fluid change, all new ignition coils, new battery, 4 new tyres.

Some present faults which are:
* Rear wiper doesn't work.
* Passenger front door lock won't unlock with central locking, but does lock with central locking and can be locked/unlocked manually.
* Radio display screen dead pixels
* Minor dings, paint chips etc that you'd expect on 19 year old car. No body dents or rust etc.

I don't know if £3k is too optimistic, or I start there and expect to be pegged back.

Obviously Im expecting the timewasters etc.

I would like to sell it reasonably quickly.

Anyone got any views, particularly of a realistic valuation?

Last edited:
For something like that i'd be seeing what the likes of Motorway offer
Motorway won't offer a price, car too old. WBAC is £1185.

Here's some AT listings of similar cars:

* 2005, 117k, px to clear, dealer, £1650.
* 2007, 136k, dealer, £4000.
* 2005, 133k, dealer, £3295.
* 2005, 129k, private, £3850.

How much MOT and what tyre brand ? they'd add value.
Its up in November but I could always put a new MOT on, it should pass.

Tyres are Hancook.

Last edited:
"best" is a wide term. Best for what criteria ? quickest ? highest value ?

A good combination of all of the above.

Personally, I absolutely hate the process of selling a car privately on facebook / autotrader. Endless time wasters, people who will tell you they're going to come look at it, make you stay in for them only not to turn up, rude people who just don't know how to have social interactions with people, people trying to con / scam you. This is more prevalent at this end of the market selling a car for 4 figure sums.

My "best" method is just to see which of the car trade in services like webuyanycar, motorway etc.. and just take whichevery one will give you the most. Quick, easy and usually relatively hassle free if the car is in good condition and you've not lied to them (or yourself) about how good the condition is.

Gets you less than selling privately, but the lack of hassle makes it infinitely better for me, and makes agreeing a deal when buying a car a lot easier when buying your new one with no trade in.

Yeah the issue is that WBAC is only £1200. Whilst I think £3k is probably optimistic, that is what others are asking for similar car. Several years ago this would have been a £1.5 to £2k car but the used market has changed hasn't it. I think £2.5k is reasonable which is way more than WBAC are offering.

Back
Top Bottom