Best Web Server for Windows and learning various web dev?

Soldato
Hey, I am looking to just have a play around with a lot of things, databases, web design and some server-side programming - not sure what languages, might want to play with stuff like Hadoop, Splunk...

Just wondering what is a good web-server to get started with quickly? I am just running it on my Windows laptop that I use for my everyday web-surfing and everything else...

I've heard Apache is a bit of a memory hog? True or is it the best choice regardless?

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Soldato
OP
My laptop is running Win7. I've done PHP 100 times, bit fed up of it.

I like the method where I can just write the page or two I'm making as opposed to RoR where I have to have a bit more awareness of the whole site but just not keen on the language PHP.

I might just go the RoR route though as I can't think what else I want to do.

Don't want to do any ASP or Windows specific as it's useless for my professional/work environments.

But I want to learn to make good Web UIs and work on backend data a lot as well. So I will be investigating and trying to learn lots of Javascript tech - I don't even know jQuery never mind Ext.JS, GWT and the hundreds of other things I hear about.

I would do a Linux VM but the laptop is a bit crummy at running them.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah I know, I mean I can set up Apache (with MySQL and some language) but was just wondering if that is still the best route these days or if there was a lighter-weight server.

I don't have any spare PC kit these days, used to have loads when I was more of a hobbyist and this is part of sort of going back to that. I am hoping to get a Raspberry Pi shortly so that would be perfect for all this.

Back
Top Bottom