1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'US TV shows discussion.' started by Robert1986, Nov 18, 2014.

1. GAM8LE

Soldato

I missed this show. Glad it’s back.

2. Smeghead

Hitman

Definitely missed this show. I'm starting to get a bit anxious about where Kim's storyline is leading. I don't want to say she's too good for Jimmy, but I can't see it ending well with "Saul" in the picture. I just hope it's nothing too tragic.

3. MR_Punk

Sgarrista

I'm really enjoying the start of the new season.

I assume the end scene was to remind us all that (However small) Kim can be an enabler of bad behaviour and she can be the "bad one" more than Jimmy?

4. Glanza

Capodecina

Still has that slow burn feel to it and it's starting to shape up that this may be the season where we find out what happens to Kim,
    trust Hank to be the first person to make fun of 'Saul Goodman'

5. PC777

Gangster

I'm enjoying this a good deal, not as much as Breaking Bad but it's definitely a worthy spin off.

However, there's been a few times when Vince Gilligan's writing has been not up to his usual standards and even actually quite corny and bad.

The idea that he was out grifting watches on the street with a totally one dimensional 'best buddy' character who dies as a result of their actions along with utterly implausible and highly convenient marks falling for it was so corny and just plain unbelievable. It was like it suddenly turned into a 1930's corny crime caper, bad writing from Gilligan, bad dialogue in a failed comedy bit. There's so many other ways he could have committed fraud far more plausibly in tone with the rest of the story, mail fraud, telemarketing, etc.

Super corny and totally implausible that a bunch of meth heads and other criminals are going to wait in line for some an appointment with a street lawyer in done up traffic tent. Really stupid and lazy writing from Gilligan again totally out of tone with the rest of the series. So totally unbelievable and implausible that any criminals. would risk being seen in such proximity to others, or that police wouldn't notice. Again so many other ways of making him Saul. He could take on a highly controversial and complex murder case that he thinks is innocent at first then subsequently knowing they're guilty, goes ahead anyway and defends them and wins with via arranging jury intimidation. In process loses Kim and becomes Saul as every criminal sees him as a top defence lawyer. A lot better than that tent nonsense.

I'll still watch it and enjoy it, but I don't rate Vince Gilligan as good a writer as he was on Breaking Bad.

6. AndyCr15

Capodecina

In your opinion, of course. To me, this sounds terrible. His 'transition' would be straight to jury intimidation to get a guilty man off for murder?!?! With no real 'motivation' to do so? Seriously?

Mind you, I don't know why we're spoilering it, it's aired! :)

7. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

I do love this show.

8. doodah

Capodecina

I find it hard to watch at times, it's great and I love it but all I can think of is 'what is going to happen to Kim'....

9. PC777

Gangster

That's just something I came up with in 5 seconds as one of many more plausible ways a lawyer could turn than what they did in the show.

As for Saul's motivation to take and keep defending the case, they could have blackmail, greed, mob involvement and manipulation, many different ways to lead to that situation.

A comedy bit featuring meth heads and criminals all queuing up in a highly orderly fashion to get convinced of a lawyers services in in some cliche deserted backstreet selling burner phones. No criminal would ever do that, they'd think it was a sting, be fighting or ripping Saul off or others off in the queue, pushing to the front, etc, or in most likelihood simply immediately leaving the area upon seeing a queue like that, it was so unbelievable and corny for me. But like you with your opinion that's my take on it.

Anyway, until the whole season airs I think spoilers are respectful as many like to wait and watch it all in one go.

10. AndyCr15

Capodecina

But that's the same with any show. If you've not watched it, you steer clear of the thread. I get it with spoilers for a day or so, just in case, but then it's the person avoiding it's own responsibility really. :)

11. sityeuropa

Wise Guy

I love the cinematography of this show, the wide shots, the noises of the lights and air conditioning.

12. Edinho

Mobster

I think that's why I like it so much. The way the whole thing is shot and filmed is quality.

13. Malevolence

Capodecina

14. AndyCr15

Capodecina

Can someone remind me why Kim is risking everything for this old man and his house? Seems a little odd...?

15. Edinho

Mobster

Well she doesn't like Mesa Verde even though she works for them probably a matter of principle, conscience and seeing that while in law they are right to just turf him out she doesn't see it that way.

16. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

This show is so well shot, I'm always taken aback by a couple of scenes every episode.

17. Rickyw88

Associate

Such a great show, can't believe we're on series 5 now, really tempted to back and watch them all again at some point

18. Rickyw88

Associate

What an episode

Jimmy vs mesa verde was amazing, it's moment like that that keep me watching the show

19. EssexBoy

Wise Guy

Great episode yeeeeeep!!!!

20. AndyCr15

Capodecina

It is great now. Honestly, I only just made it through the first couple of seasons though. I definitely wouldn't want to go back and watch those again...