US: Better Call Saul

Don
Yeah, was okay I guess.

For me to check I understand what happened, Jimmy cleared his conscience and got Kim off anything by changing his confession. Surely Kim had already admitted to parts and would open to the civil case still?

I think the implication is that because a US court found Jimmy guilty of the crimes based on his confession, no civil case can be heard against Kim as she was found innocent / non-complicit in the US court case

Soldato
must admit i was a bit woolly over that logic too but then i'm not a legal expert and they have several advising on the show so i guess it's the way it would happen.

Soldato
Kim returning to law got a big smile from me.
I think the finale was fine and some great cameos, full circle moments.

It still makes me sad how depressing the Gene timeline turned out but I guess that was the point. What a crazy season though going from all the resolution with Nacho, Lalo, Hamlin and then the last 3 with Gene...pretty incredible what they were able to do in 13 episodes.

Soldato
Yeah loved it, not on the same level as BB but still standout in its own right.
I wonder if there's room for a spin off with Kim? I think she and Howard were my favourite characters.

Vince Gilligan wants to do something new now though I think, so maybe not for a while, at least.

It was good to see Jimmy accept and face up to his guilt. Where was he when he was talking to Walter White again?

Soldato
A great ending to a completely unexpected 6 season prequel IMO. Wraps everything up nicely, a huge amount of throwbacks that didn't feel shoehorned in, a couple of lough out loud moments.

I definitely felt melancholy and sad at the end, but it felt true to the nature of the show as a whole.

Someone put a great post on reddit some some of the imagery used and references to earlier BCS or BB episodes.

There's a ton of interesting insights in the show discussion thread too, pointing out really detailed and nuanced references to previous episodes I'd have completely missed otherwise

Associate
God, 7 years...14 if you count Breaking Bad. Call me an old wet blanket, but I couldn't help but get a bit emotional that this was likely the end of this amazing universe (and honestly I think they should end it with this. We don't need a spin-off for every character and their dog). It wasn't a particularly action-packed finale, but things did come full circle for a few things, and it did wrap things up about the way you'd expect them to end up.

Now how to deal with the old "finished series" void :(

Soldato
He was in the basement of the vacuum repair shop waiting to be relocated
This scene was a great addition. In the end, it showed that Walter White felt he was superior to his colleagues at Gray Matter as a young man, and let his pride destroy his relationship with them. Did he always consider himself superior to Gretchen also?

Soldato
Bittersweet ending we all knew was coming, there was no way he was going to make it out and he didn't deserve too.

I liked the resolution to Jimmy and Kim's relationship. At the end of it all, the only person's he still cared about was her and by finally admitting to it all, he closes the book on all the stuff that's happened over the years. She finally got to see him actually be remorseful about Chuck, years later. She can even begin to move on. One last smoke with Jimmy. Not Saul, Jimmy.

I think the ending with the prisoners is perfect as well. If there is one thing Jimmy did, it was give the best representation he could give to every client he had.

Little nod, how it started S1E1 and how it ended S6E13:

TMFpCDA.png

Associate
I appear to be in the minority but was very dissapointed with the back half of season 6. BB and BCS are my favourite shows of all time, and the first half of the final season built things up superbly. To see Jimmy and Kim's original timeline story resolved in 10 minutes followed by a massive time jump was very jarring. Despite some enjoyable individual episodes and well used cameos, I had little interest in seeing the conclusion of the Gene timeline being spun out so long. Not asking for a happy ending or anything, in fact thought the outcome was appropriate, just felt that the last few episodes glossed over important periods while needlessly fleshing out others.

Had the story ended with Howard's death and Kim leaving, this would have been a more fitting place to stop in my view, and perhaps would have surpassed the ending of Breaking Bad itself.

Still, what a great show it has been overall, unafraid to slow burn and beautifully shot throughout with unrivalled depth of characters.

Soldato
Loved every second of it personally, and whilst I dont agree with how it ended exactly the symbolism that was dispersed throughout the final episode was fantastic.

Soldato
Disappointing and drawn out end for me, I don't rate it. As soon as Lalo was killed and that was all resolved, the remaining episodes were dull time fillers leading up to the last episode, which was predictable. I expected a lot more.

Soldato
Idea for next show - A few years later, Kim tries to convince the court that Jimmy has gone insane and developed multiple personalities (she visits and they are still close friends), and she appeals for leniency to his sentence, or possibly to move him to a mental asylum instead (not guilty by reason of insanity). Perhaps he begins to develop a new persona in prison, and starts to lose his mind / sense of self? This might be an interesting take on why he seems to adopt different personas in BCS, maybe there is a pathological reason?

The problem with this, is that the show makes it pretty clear that Jimmy knows who he is now (he has accepted his identity and has no desire to change that, having rediscovered his conscience to some extent), and this was actually a pretty satisfying end to the show... Not sure it would have much mileage. The show would probably have to mostly be about Kim

Soldato
Disappointing and drawn out end for me, I don't rate it. As soon as Lalo was killed and that was all resolved, the remaining episodes were dull time fillers leading up to the last episode, which was predictable. I expected a lot more.
And I think that's the problem. There were two topics all along. Jimmy and his life and the drug game from BB. When the drug game came into it in Season...3? it became an interesting how. Outside of that, when it was all about Jimmy, it just wasn't that interesting to a lot of us.

Caporegime
It was a great series overall. Part of me wanted Saul to go full bad and trade Kim's life for the ice cream. However, both this and Breaking Bad are about people doing terrible things, whilst still not being completely irredeemable/awful.

One thing that I found quite jarring was just how bad Aaron Paul's acting was in his cameos. I'm not sure if it was just because he looked too old to be playing Jesse, or whether he's just not that good. I always thought he was one of the weakest actors in BB (but still kind of pulled it off), and I don't think he is any good in Westworld either, but the bits in BCS were particularly bad I thought.

Back
Top Bottom