Beware of Asus and ROG Maximus XIII APEX

Associate
Hi All, so I wanted to warn you about Asus RMA and in particular this motherboard.

I had a I9-10900K running on a ROG Maximux XII and the maximum temperature of the CPU was around 50 celsius.

I bought a ROG Maximus XIII APEX and mounted the I9-10900K in it with an EK Delta Tec with full custom water cooling, and as soon as I turned the system on the temperature spiked up to over 90 degrees (at idle!).

As I thought there was something wrong, I thought to reseat the cooler and CPU so I disassembled them, and as soon as I removed the CPU from the socket (really carefully I would add), one of the LGA pins on the socket simply jumped out
Whats-App-Image-2021-07-05-at-20-29-23.jpg

Where you can see that black dot in the green circle is where the pin was.

I really hoped this was not a required pin (ground? PCI-e?) and tried to remount the CPU anyway, which resulted in no boot at all.
In the hope, I tried a few additional CPUs and I slightly bent one top pin, which has nothing to do with the pin that jumped out and could be safely re-bent into place.

Given the situation, I thought to sent the motherboard to RMA, after all, I hoped Asus may understand that a slightly bent pin has nothing to do with the fact that one of their pins simply jumped out (which again, it's not supposed to happen and it's definitely a manufacturing error).

After a few weeks of wait, Asus refused the RMA with reasons:
* PCIe lock broken
* CPU pins bent
* PCB Damage

With the following pictures

M3-MCFM00629687-N-1-1.jpg

M3-MCFM00629687-N-6-1.jpg

M3-MCFM00629687-N-4-1.jpg

M3-MCFM00629687-N-2-1.jpg

I have no problem with the bent pin on the cpu socket, that was there, but anything else is damage that was simply not there when the item was sent to RMA, I'm not sure if they mistreated the item or intentionally did it, but it definitely wasn't in this condition when I sent it.

This is a picture that I took immediately before removing the CPU/ram and returning the item, and you can clearly see that the damage they highlighted is not there:
Capture.jpg

In addition, from their picture, I still can't see the damage they claim on the PCI-e lock, as it doesn't seem broken to me.

Overall, I bought a £ 450 motherboard that showed up with a manufacturer defect (pin jumped out), and upon sending it to RMA they refused the RMA and damaged it even more, and now I am left with an even more damaged motherboard and £ 450 out of pocket.

Back
Top Bottom