Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Which Ones ?

Soldato
The real perk or feature of the DT 770s is that they are closed back so block out a lot of sound and also keep it in so you don't annoy people around you as much. The fact they're cheaper also makes them attractive but I'm pretty sure you'd prefer the sound out of the 880s or 990s.

The 990s are supposed to be more 'fun' with more bass but I doubt the difference is huge. I've listened to my MMX 300s, my old DT 990s and my T1's and I would happily use any of them for music or games :) Decent headphones really are the best thing since sliced bread if you've never had a pair before :D

Associate
OP
Yeah there is a fair sized price jump to the 880s/990s. If possible you should have a listen of the headphones you want but that's not always easy to do. At the very least you should try a set of closed cup headphones and then some open ones to see the difference. I don't hate the sound of my MMX 300 which is basically the same as a DT 770 but it's not as natural as semi open like a DT 880/T1 or like an open set like the DT 990s.

The price is hard to justify at first but with these kinds of headphones it's more of an investment really. There's no reason why they wouldn't last you 5 years easily :) The old pair of DT 990s are made of plastic only and they've lasted 20 odd years and I even recently got some new earpads for them since spares are still available hehe.

That's the problem where I live theres nowhere to try them out. There is one well known high street shop but they don't sell that brand :(

Soldato
Just go listen to any brand headphones really just so you can see the difference between closed and open ones. Personally I'm ok with either sound but some people may not be so unless you're happy with returning stuff to stores you might as well do the legwork before

Associate
OP
Looking at the prices I think I could push for the DT 990 pros. What would you say was the real difference between them and the DT770 Pro. i would only be using them for music and movies but I do like my heavy metal music a lot

:D

Soldato
Hey, I have a solution for you, get the Fostex T50RP headphones. And then mod them to sound what you want them to sound like. There are pages and pages of mods and instructions on other sites.

If I was buying a pair of headphones right now for between £100 and £150 they are the ones I would get.

Hehe I like throwing in an odd curve ball every now and then :)

Associate
OP
I'm not sure how you tell what's closed cup headphones and open headphones. At the moment I am using some Beyerdynamic DTX 710 and some Goldring DR150

Soldato
If you've ever worn ear defenders for any reason like using loud machinery or when shooting etc then you'l know that strange feeling where all sound is muted. The DT 770s block out sound like that so when there's no music playing it's a bit odd if you're not used to it. When there's something playing you soon forget about it and it's fine but when you compare them to a set of open headphones there's a clear difference. I guess the open ones just sound more natural because they don't have that same muting effect of isolating your ears from the rest of the air in the room.

Associate
OP
Hey, I have a solution for you, get the Fostex T50RP headphones. And then mod them to sound what you want them to sound like. There are pages and pages of mods and instructions on other sites.

If I was buying a pair of headphones right now for between £100 and £150 they are the ones I would get.

Hehe I like throwing in an odd curve ball every now and then :)

I'm crap at DIY :D don't think i could pay all that money and start modding them,just thinking about it makes me want to fill my pants :D

Associate
OP
If you've ever worn ear defenders for any reason like using loud machinery or when shooting etc then you'l know that strange feeling where all sound is muted. The DT 770s block out sound like that so when there's no music playing it's a bit odd if you're not used to it. When there's something playing you soon forget about it and it's fine but when you compare them to a set of open headphones there's a clear difference. I guess the open ones just sound more natural because they don't have that same muting effect of isolating your ears from the rest of the air in the room.

Okay i see what you mean now. To be honest i don't mind the feeling you get from having ear defenders on.i would also think closed ones would be better if you where on skype talking on a mic so you wont get that feedback loop thing going on

Soldato
Shouldn't get feedback with headphones anyway really :p but if you don't think you'll mind then DT 770s might be fine :p If money was no object I'd still recommend the DT 880s/990s but there's certainly nothing wrong with the DT 770s.

Associate
OP
Shouldn't get feedback with headphones anyway really :p but if you don't think you'll mind then DT 770s might be fine :p If money was no object I'd still recommend the DT 880s/990s but there's certainly nothing wrong with the DT 770s.

Sorry i think feedback might have been the wrong way to describe it. As the 990s are opened back i would think they would leak sound,so when the person talks down there mic it comes out of my headphones and goes back down my mic and it then gets stuck in a loop Hope you know what i mean by that

Soldato
Sorry i think feedback might have been the wrong way to describe it. As the 990s are opened back i would think they would leak sound,so when the person talks down there mic it comes out of my headphones and goes back down my mic and it then gets stuck in a loop Hope you know what i mean by that

I think you would have to be deaf to be able to listen to music through good heapdhones loud enough for the effect you are describing to happen :D

Associate
OP
I'm leaning more towards the 990s now :D been looking round the net and a lot of people are saying the 990s are better with heavy metal music

Soldato
They all sound awesome but the DT 990s tend to have a little more bass/trebble making them sound a bit more fun. Personally I think you'd probably like any of the 3 if you haven't had anything of this quality before hehe

Associate
OP
They all sound awesome but the DT 990s tend to have a little more bass/trebble making them sound a bit more fun. Personally I think you'd probably like any of the 3 if you haven't had anything of this quality before hehe

Hi

I have ruled out the BeyerDynamic DT880 Pro as there going to cost around £185 But there's not much difference between the other two price wise. The DT770 Pro are £117.64 and the BeyerDynamic DT-990 Pro are £121. So am going to pick between them two. But i keep going back and forward on both of them :D Just cant make up my mind. I'm looking for a good bass and a nice punchy sound nothing that sounds flat if you know what i mean by that.

;)

Soldato
I have the 990's. Really like them. Obviously the quality is the same across all 3 so it comes down to what you prefer. Honestly, if you can go and listen through a similar pair of open/closed headphones it'll make the choose that much easier. It doesn't matter if the quality isn't as good as the Beyer's more just to let you hear the difference between open/closed.

Back
Top Bottom