BI tools, qlik sense vs tableau

Caporegime
Company is looking at getting one of these tools and I'm not familiar with either.
But being asked to help in the decision process

I myself am somewhat familiar with qlikview. Its much more complex but I know it can do pretty much anything I want.
Both the others seem limited. But I'm not sure if it's just Im not familiar with them.. But from what I gather they are.

Anyone with experience of these at a decent level?

Associate
I've evaluated a whole host of them and come back to Excel and Reporting Services, but that's primarily because we've gotr an MS SQL server environment to work with and Excel plays nicely with Analysis services, T-SQL. If you then add in Excel's PowerPivot, then you really have a powerhouse of tools all under the banner of Excel, so no added costs or licenses to worry about, or additional applications to deploy/support.
Being Excel it also has a familiar feel to it. If you have a strong Excel userbase in your business, then I'd also urge you to look at MS Query within Excel. It looks rubbish but once you start playing with parameters, you can really manage your interfaces.

If you want some other names to look at other than Qlikview, then I'd chuck in:
Crystal Reports, Zap and my personal favourite of the bunch - Targit.

I've not seen Tableau yet - we're using it in one of our affiliates and I'm going to have a look at some point.

Good luck - you're opening a can of worms there :)

Caporegime
OP
Unfortunately my hands are pretty tied.
We are getting one for definite

Unless something major comes up it will be one of the two listed (I myself don't really like either)

Qlikview and qlik sense are different. I like qlikview a lot. But it's extremely complicated, but I can do anything in it. Tableau is opposite. So I don't really want it. But that's from initial use

Associate
Once you have used qlikview, you will find nothing even comes close

Nothing comes close to its price either, except maybe SAS.

Developers are hard to come by, expensive and a very mixed bag of 'true' QV devs and those who can cobble together a pretty dashboard. The back-end enterprise side is pretty damn flaky, the CAL system is pretty poorly handled in my experience.

That said, between Tableau and Qlik, Qlik edges it I think but Tableau is probably easier to get a wider audience using and involved.

Associate
We are going through a similr problem. One issue which most business don;t seem to grasp is who is going to use these tools.

If you have a central and qualified team to be able to use something like qlikview then fine, but if in the end all the teams are going to do is pump it out as a flat file and then build a graph in Excel over it and then stick it in a powerpoint then you may as well use SSRS or actually just role your own as in this case you are fundamentally just sending SQL scripts to the server. You are not getting the advantage of using a BI tool.

But that assumes there is an advantage (im not entirely convinced there is) and we are not trying to simply cover the IT procurment managers buying decision.

To be fair i've seen role out of Cognos and SAP Business Intelligence. In the end both simply got used as portals to extract data from the systems. In my opinion if you are going to do that you may as well just get somebody who can script some SQL. I suspect the role out of Qlik will end up at the same point.

Back
Top Bottom