Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Hi guys, my brother has just bought a pair of Nike 6.0 Morgan shoes from Evans, but they are too small so he's offered them to me dirt cheap.
I ride mostly XC Red and Black grade trails on Wellgo MG1 Flats. Anyone had any experience with these shoes? Going by the grips they seems like a decent shoe

nike-60-air-mogan-shoe.jpg

Associate
Ok, starting to get cold now! I cycle into work every day as well as messing around at the weekend, and I'm starting to get numb fingers/face. Can someone recommend some decent gloves/hat/something to cover my face.

I'm going to be doing a few races 'just for fun' as well, so it's not just for commuting!

Soldato
The Sealskinz I have are the MTB Technical ones :-

http://www.slanecycles.com/sealskinz-technical-mtb-glove-p-4322.html?currency=GBP

2cyjkvs.jpg

I tried the ones you mentioned Torch, but I like a glove with lots of palm padding and found those ones were not comfortable enough for me. The palms also started wearing away rather quickly, the thinish rubberised padding there that is. Don't get me wrong, they were certainly warm enough though!!. The MTB Technical ones are simply awesome though. Best cold weather glove I've ever tried.

One thing with Sealskinz though - If you haven't worn them before at all, the inner glove moving around sometimes can take a wee bit of getting used to!. :cool:

Associate
I can't wear gloves when i ride my bike, my hands get too sweaty, but i do own some of these:

Sealskinz Allweather, they keep my fingers lovely and toasty no matter how cold it gets . great for early morning when my car windscreen is frozen.
allweather_blacklarge.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
guys quick ? about headsets
my giant reign came with a zero stack headset but is there anything stopping me from puting on say a superstar GTO headset which has a 17mm top stack and 11mm lower stack height :confused:

Soldato
Wheels arrived.. 5.1's, Pro 2 hubs.

Evilwithwheels005.jpg

It's beginning to look bike-shaped :D Not going to try riding it just yet though.

The wheels are second hand and pretty good for the price, the front is a bit wobbly so will replace the bearings eventually, this is the first time I've installed the nifty adjustable drop-outs too (to alter the wheelbase) I've put them in the middle at the moment (looks like they've been ran that way) but will have a play with them.

Does anyone know if a chain tensioner (or e13 chainguide jobby) would be a good idea as I'll be wanting to adjust the wheelbase? I'd prefer to avoid adding/subtracting links, will the rear mech tension the chain enough? I'm planning on a sram x9/x0 short cage.

Associate
Right, having a bit of problem with my bike, Which can be described quite easily with these pics:

d265d2b2.jpg

03cf81cc.jpg

Obviously the rear derailleur is supposed to 'hang down' and mine isn't. This leads to the chain rubbing along the underside and also the gears just aren't working, it just selects whatever gear it feels like. If I select a higher front gear It'll bring it down a bit and the chain wont rub but its still not correct.

Any idea whats wrong?

Soldato
wish i could remember exactly what do.. have not ridden an MTB for years.. :O but i guess shortening the chain would do the trick.. after all the derailleur is meant to "tighten" the chain when gear is changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom