Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
quick pic of my current build as it stands

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

she's a Giant Reign 2006 frame fully refurbed with new bearings etc rolling on superstar am490 rims with XT cassette, rockshox tora 302 (130mm travel) up front. Avid Elixir R brakeset, SLX shifters, SDG Bel Air seat, truvativ 60mm stem fsa bars......
some other nice bits are the kcnc seatclamp and superstar titanium skewers.
ive tried to go a bit lightweight where i can but money was a factor, yes the steerer has still to be cut :p
just bagged a mint SLX rear and front mech combo from pinkbike so that just leaves chainset / rotors and some small bits n bobs to finish her off :D

Associate
how is CRC RMA service?
i got some light that just broke they weren't abused in anyway, i've sent them an email with a picture yesterday, i have not got one back yet and am little worried that they will refuse the RMA.

Associate
how is CRC RMA service?
i got some light that just broke they weren't abused in anyway, i've sent them an email with a picture yesterday, i have not got one back yet and am little worried that they will refuse the RMA.

CRC returns are really good, they just take a while to reply to emails.
They should accept it no problem.

Soldato
Need some new bars and a stem, budget of say £70 for both, ride mainly XC....what should I get? I have no clue about bars so I'm all ears.

Oh and I dont know if white bars would look stupid on a black bike? :p

Associate
got question when you clean bike what stuff you use afterwoods?

Seen a lot of guides but atm heres what i do,(V break bike)

clean bike ect, then put on lube, and dab dry with towel...the end....

should i put something on certain parts of the bike ie front derail ect or any other part of bike and if so what ie product wise.

Soldato
I have the same routine afterwoods as I do I aftersands and aftermuds.

After washing the bike with Muc off I'll oil the chain and mechs and lube the forks with fork Juice. You can use a teflon based lube (GT85) on cables to keep them running smoothly.

Hope you get your bike fixed soon.

Associate
Bought a 2011 Specialized Hardrock Pro about 5 months ago, Going to work other day every 2 turns of crank chain kept slipping .When got to work had a look at chain and chain seems to have come apart on one side(its not split link). My question is this normal(length of time) or do you think i should get in touch with shop i bought it off and see if they will replace it.

Soldato
the shop will probably fix it for you since it will be a matter of pence for them to fix

i imagine they will just remove the broken link and replace it with a sram powerlink

could do this yourself easy enough if for example the bike shop is some distance away

Soldato
got question when you clean bike what stuff you use afterwoods?

Seen a lot of guides but atm heres what i do,(V break bike)

clean bike ect, then put on lube, and dab dry with towel...the end....

should i put something on certain parts of the bike ie front derail ect or any other part of bike and if so what ie product wise.

Big Brush, bucket with fairy liquid, Fork Juice on forks, back in shed.

Soldato
fairy liquid :(

bad for paint , bad for rubber

Only if you leave it on. I've always used it on my bikes and the paints been fine, I always make sure I wash it off thoroughly

Cheers for that, those bars look pretty much spot on

Last edited:
Associate
muc off is brilliant, i used to just use fairy liquid and was very sceptical about muc off, i thought it was just expensive fairy liquid but it does work and it works well,it also leave a thin coating to help stop muc sticking.

Soldato
I've been using fairy liquid on both my bikes - Alu and Carbon frame for 3 years with no adverse affects.
Muc Off is good stuff but I wash my bike after every ride and it would cost me too much.

Muc Off is great for when you're not at home though - spray it on before a jet wash and say goodby to every bit dirt.

Associate
I've been using fairy liquid on both my bikes - Alu and Carbon frame for 3 years with no adverse affects.
Muc Off is good stuff but I wash my bike after every ride and it would cost me too much.

Muc Off is great for when you're not at home though - spray it on before a jet wash and say goodby to every bit dirt.

i agree it does get expensive but you can get 25 liters for 80 pounds (£3.20 a liter) which is pretty good value.

EDIT.
Fenwicks is as good as Muc Off but is concentrate, so you get 10 bottles for the same price as 1 Muc Off.
didn't see your post i might give that fenwicks a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom