*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
I've switched things up a little the last week or so which seems to be positive. I was getting a little bit all or nothing on the calorie counting resulting in days with low adherence followed by super strict. I've decided to move to a 3 large meals model, no snacking (unless I need a banana pre run or something) with a focus on being mindful on portion size and quality...

Looking something like this at the moment

Breakfast: 65g Oats with Semi Skimmed Milk, some Raisins and loads of raspberries/blueberries with a Nespresso latte
Lunch: Half a tesco pre marinaded chicken pack (180-200 calories) with a full pack of stir fry veg and either a half bag of cook in bag potatoes (done in air fryer instead) or half a uncle bens rice packet.
Dinner: whatever we are having at home mainly, fajitas, curry, burgers with mash/green veg... my basis being is my 140lb wife is eating it and not getting fat then its likely not the issue. Friday is Half a Tesco cook at home pizza for example.

Ive dropped just over a kg this week so going to try it on for size for a few weeks and see if it works for me or if I need to be a bit more calculated. I'd rather keep the macro counting for a specific push towards a weight / event

Soldato
I'm still getting frustrated with lack of weight loss but trying not to let it bother me as i've been ramping up cycling and so confident at some point doing 5-7hrs of cycling a week will drop it off even if not as quick as i'd hope.

One thing i do want to address is the lack of protein in my diet. I generall have porridge for breakfast, scrambled eggs/cured meat sandwich for dinner and then tea is similar to @blairw where it could be curry, burgers, fajitas. So i'm generally eating decent stuff and having eggs/chicken most days, but MFP always shows me very low and i'm wondering if it's hindering progress with cycling a bit.

I've been eyeing some protein powder to add a drink each day to artificially increase intake, but being my usual cheap self. I'm going for the cheap end of the scale. Is there anything between these that i need to consider?

Or even something to avoid where i need to be less cheap?

Soldato
I wouldn't overthink it - why drink calories when you could eat them? Have some chicken sausages/eggs alongside your oats, change your cured meat sandwich to have cooked chicken breast or similar instead

Soldato
I wouldn't overthink it - why drink calories when you could eat them? Have some chicken sausages/eggs alongside your oats, change your cured meat sandwich to have cooked chicken breast or similar instead

I guess it's part laziness/convenience.

Breakfast/Lunch for me are quick/easy meals, and with generally eating around 15 eggs a week, i'm reluctant to add any more into the mix!

Associate
I make my porridge using water and then add a scoop of vanilla whey isolate or casein and a pinch of salt - it's creamy, very filling and has more than 1g of protein per 10 calories.

One thing to note is that you'll probably suffer from extreme wind for a week or so, but you soon adjust!

Soldato
hey all, its been a while - week ;)

@Martynt74
get smaller pack of protein powder first. dont want to waste money on one you don't like and wont use.
consider one without any flavours.

been cycling with my mate and his wife today.
she has been using services of a nutritionist as she wants to build some muscle - she's skinny as they get LOL she does a lot of zwift and gym lately.
shes on 2k cal a day ! more than I try to get haha
around 240carbs and 175g of protein !! that's insane amount of protein

reduce bread intake.
try rice cakes with scrabled eggs ;)

count them bloody calories...its boring but does work...
you eat a lot of eggs a week...switch some eggs to egg whites and reduce calories and add protein ;)

Soldato
hey all, its been a while - week ;)

@Martynt74
get smaller pack of protein powder first. dont want to waste money on one you don't like and wont use.
consider one without any flavours.

been cycling with my mate and his wife today.
she has been using services of a nutritionist as she wants to build some muscle - she's skinny as they get LOL she does a lot of zwift and gym lately.
shes on 2k cal a day ! more than I try to get haha
around 240carbs and 175g of protein !! that's insane amount of protein

reduce bread intake.
try rice cakes with scrabled eggs ;)

count them bloody calories...its boring but does work...
you eat a lot of eggs a week...switch some eggs to egg whites and reduce calories and add protein ;)

I'm cheap mate. If i buy it i'll be bloody eating it. I remember i bought some absolutely horrid stuff years ago as a post recovery drink. Made me shiver and had around 3kg of it :(

Not a bad call on ricecakes, sometimes i'll just eat it as an ommelette rather than on bread, but that's less tasty!

On the last point. Note point 1. I'm cheap, i'm not throwing away the yolks!

Pretty horrific weekend for me, but i'm still at 103.1kg which isn't too bad.
Friday i finished work and we had to go to an appointment at a kitchen showroom. Finished at 8pm and grabbed a McDonalds (Large "McExtreme) with beer (of course!)
Saturday, we went to Ikea. Hot dog, chips and beer for breakfast. Then caved on my no wine at home rule and drank a bottle of cheap red. Tea was homemade curry, which probably wasn't actually too bad
Sunday, Toast for breakfast, then out for a meal with my mum and some friends. Mainly Tapas based, but this was around 3pm. Didn't have desert and on the way home decided i wanted an ice cream. Then also bought sweets/crisps to share at home for supper!

Overall, i worked out around 2500-3000/kcal per day which is well over my goal, but with reasonable walking around probably not too far over maintenance calories which i guess helps weight stay level.

Annoying at no cycling though. Saturday the Ikea trip wasn't planned (or at least i wasn't told about it), so my aim was a 2hr ride Saturday morning before sorting some storage stuff out, then another 2hr ride Sunday morning before we went out. Ikea stopped my Saturday riding and then the cheap red wine made me not want to get up at 8am on the Sunday before we went out.

Soldato
I'm cheap mate. If i buy it i'll be bloody eating it. I remember i bought some absolutely horrid stuff years ago as a post recovery drink. Made me shiver and had around 3kg of it :(

Not a bad call on ricecakes, sometimes i'll just eat it as an ommelette rather than on bread, but that's less tasty!

Friday i finished work and we had to go to an appointment at a kitchen showroom. Finished at 8pm and grabbed a McDonalds (Large "McExtreme) with beer (of course!)
Saturday, we went to Ikea. Hot dog, chips and beer for breakfast. Then caved on my no wine at home rule and drank a bottle of cheap red. Tea was homemade curry, which probably wasn't actually too bad
Sunday, Toast for breakfast, then out for a meal with my mum and some friends. Mainly Tapas based, but this was around 3pm. Didn't have desert and on the way home decided i wanted an ice cream. Then also bought sweets/crisps to share at home for supper!

Overall, i worked out around 2500-3000/kcal per day which is well over my goal, but with reasonable walking around probably not too far over maintenance calories which i guess helps weight stay level.

Annoying at no cycling though. Saturday the Ikea trip wasn't planned (or at least i wasn't told about it), so my aim was a 2hr ride Saturday morning before sorting some storage stuff out, then another 2hr ride Sunday morning before we went out. Ikea stopped my Saturday riding and then the cheap red wine made me not want to get up at 8am on the Sunday before we went out.
dont throw yolks away, just buy whites only ;)

100ml of yolks is from 3 eggs. yolks have calories, whites dont :D
eggs will last for longer LOL

need to be stronger to stick to calories...stay at 2k
even with a lot of walking...

on my commute days, i still try to stay under 1700cals ...if hungry, have protein shake or pudding

Caporegime
I've not really shifted any weight this week either...not been on my evening walks as much. Although this morning's poo wasn't that big so there is leeway lol

Still want to hit that 85kg mark by end of this week so 1lb to use in 8 days which is doable.

ClkdNoKl.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
How long are weeks in your world :p

lol...the goal is (was?) 85kg by end of April, but I get on a plane on Saturday and my holiday starts on Sunday so this "week" is only really 6 days!

I have a 4hr layover in Paris in the afternoon too, but at least the food options at that airport is terrible in a good way. Don't even need to try stereotyping but it's mostly baguettes or salads.

Soldato

I mean this in the most supportive way possible... but you shouldn't be thinking about protein powder at the moment. You're focused on the pennies and ignoring pounds.

Soldato
I mean this in the most supportive way possible... but you shouldn't be thinking about protein powder at the moment. You're focused on the pennies and ignoring pounds.

Agreed, although I do find that a post gym (or during) gym protein shake stops me from snacking wildly and usually tides me over until I can eat properly. Most progress was made by strict calorie counting for me.

Starting to feel like I am finally getting over months of relentless nursery plagues and lost a bit of water weight along with it. Need to refocus and stop eating so much damned chocolate. Easter is over dammit!

Last edited:
Soldato
Down to under 100kg again so trip back home really wasn't that bad...

Taking of protein powders...I haven't found one I like here in UK in taste and one that mixes well.
While UK was in EU, I used to buy it from back home.
Cheap compared to Ines avail here, great taste, and mixes very well.
Now they stopped selling due to known reasons.
So plan for trip back home was to buy bigger supply and bring back with me.
Filled duffel bag with powder...brought in 7-8kg of it lol

Should suffice :)

Soldato

Cheers, i probably am. I will caveat most of this by saying if i don't lose weight as quick as i'd like it's not overly bothering me, i've been seening the general trend coming down since the new year, and whilst i'd like it to drop faster it's apparent i'm not prepared to change my lifestyle too dramatically to enable that.

My main concern at the moment is building strength/endurance for cycling and given how low my regular protein intake seems to be, despite eating eggs/chicken/pork most days (generally don't have Beef often as it doesn't agree with my wife) then i'm still severely lacking and so looking for low calorie alternatives to boost that.

I've switched things up a little the last week or so which seems to be positive. I was getting a little bit all or nothing on the calorie counting resulting in days with low adherence followed by super strict. I've decided to move to a 3 large meals model, no snacking (unless I need a banana pre run or something) with a focus on being mindful on portion size and quality...

Looking something like this at the moment

Breakfast: 65g Oats with Semi Skimmed Milk, some Raisins and loads of raspberries/blueberries with a Nespresso latte
Lunch: Half a tesco pre marinaded chicken pack (180-200 calories) with a full pack of stir fry veg and either a half bag of cook in bag potatoes (done in air fryer instead) or half a uncle bens rice packet.
Dinner: whatever we are having at home mainly, fajitas, curry, burgers with mash/green veg... my basis being is my 140lb wife is eating it and not getting fat then its likely not the issue. Friday is Half a Tesco cook at home pizza for example.

Ive dropped just over a kg this week so going to try it on for size for a few weeks and see if it works for me or if I need to be a bit more calculated. I'd rather keep the macro counting for a specific push towards a weight / event
Your menu sounds delicious.

I think the idea of moving to 3 large meals a day, and with no snacking sounds like a good idea.

Soldato
With the weather getting better( yeah right...) I've cranked the walking back up, 3 x 30 minute walks a day, plus 3 x 30 minutes on an incline treadmill 3 times a week, and weights 2 x a week. Being retired helps, I have time.
40g of porridge with water for breakfast, a protein shake for lunch, and pretty much anything for dinner, just less of it. And black coffee, lots and lots of coffee... :p

Saying that, if I'm out and having a coffee, I won't say no to a millionaires shortbread occasionally...

Man of Honour
With the weather getting better( yeah right...) I've cranked the walking back up, 3 x 30 minute walks a day, plus 3 x 30 minutes on an incline treadmill 3 times a week, and weights 2 x a week. Being retired helps, I have time.
40g of porridge with water for breakfast, a protein shake for lunch, and pretty much anything for dinner, just less of it. And black coffee, lots and lots of coffee... :p

Saying that, if I'm out and having a coffee, I won't say no to a millionaires shortbread occasionally...
Can you actually keep that diet up for a meaningful length of time, I'm hungry just reading it :D

Back
Top Bottom