Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
I went to the Trafford Centre branch today expecting great things after an epic Five Guys burger in NYC. Underwhelming is the best word to describe it :(

£14 gets you a bacon double cheese burger, small fries and a refillable drink :eek: This is way too expensive for fast (or as they will have you call it, casual) food.

The burger wasn't all that; I have made better at home myself. The fries were superb though, but no mayo on hand to dunk them in.

I won't be rushing back, GBK or Burger King are your best burger options in the Trafford Centre.

The best burger in the UK crown, in my opinion is still held by Almost Famous or Byron. Both deliver beefy taste and perfect combinations. Almost Famous for the OMG what the hell is that??! kind of burger while Byron is your purist burger.

The best burger in the world, in my opinion, is The Gold Standard at Holsteins in Las Vegas (pictured below with a stupid amount of onion rings and chicken tenders). So, what's your best burger?

Soldato
Patty & Bun for me without a doubt. Their Smokey Robinson burger is awesome. Along with chips with rosemary salt, house slaw, and the smoked confit chicken wings with BBQ sauce, you just can't beat it (in my opinion :)).

Soldato
In the US for value/taste In 'n' Out Burger is excellent :D Double-double animal style with chopped chillies and well-done fries :cool:

Had a Five Guys open up nearby, nice burger and great fries but it's definitely pricey.

Seriouseats.com is good for this, they love their burgers :p

Soldato
OP
Yeah, In N Out is awesome, always my first meal on landing in Vegas. Double double animal style is the one and it's cheap as anything. Five guys do their burgers 'well done' which is no good in my opinion but in and out leave theirs a bit pink. Serious Eats is a great site :)

Soldato
Patty & Bun is brilliant. Better than holsteins IMO. But my favourite of all time is Korzo Haus in NYC.

Had similar feelings with five guys in Reading - it's just too expensive. I've had some pretty decent burgers there but there's no way I would consider visiting it in London given all the other options.

Soldato
OP
Must have just opened, was boarded up when I wandered in a couple of weeks go.

£14! Ouch.

Yeah, opened on 28th April. For £14 I want someone to bring it to me, not for me to stand in a disorganised queue for ten minutes while it's made. It's the wrong side of £10 for that.

I've read about Korzo Haus, may pop by next time I am in NYC. Five napkin burger is supposed to be great there too...

Associate
I went to the Trafford Centre branch today expecting great things after an epic Five Guys burger in NYC. Underwhelming is the best word to describe it :(

£14 gets you a bacon double cheese burger, small fries and a refillable drink :eek: This is way too expensive for fast (or as they will have you call it, casual) food.

The burger wasn't all that; I have made better at home myself. The fries were superb though, but no mayo on hand to dunk them in.

I won't be rushing back, GBK or Burger King are your best burger options in the Trafford Centre.

The best burger in the UK crown, in my opinion is still held by Almost Famous or Byron. Both deliver beefy taste and perfect combinations. Almost Famous for the OMG what the hell is that??! kind of burger while Byron is your purist burger.

The best burger in the world, in my opinion, is The Gold Standard at Holsteins in Las Vegas (pictured below with a stupid amount of onion rings and chicken tenders). So, what's your best burger?

Couldn't disagree more dude.

Ashamed to say this, but I've been four times since it opened last Monday (In my defense I live about 2 minutes away from the Trafford Centre though.)

Admittedly it is expensive for a burger, but £20ish quid for a casual meal for two is pretty standard. It's easily the best food experience in that food court now. All the burgers are made fresh to order with exactly the toppings you ask for at no extra charge (free extra cheese and extra bacon - the best bacon I've had on a burger) is a complete winner.

I'll hold my hands up and say I love Almost Famous too, but if you've ever had a basic bacon cheeseburger at AF it's not much to write home about, where they excel is all their creative toppings. Also, when I compare going to Almost Famous where I'll expect to wait an hour for a table and subjected to the hipster contempt of the staff to somewhere like Five Guys, which is instant sit down, fast service and flawlessly polite staff then I'll go to Five Guys any day of the week.

I've not been to Byron, but the fact that you can compare GBK's frozen efforts favourably to Five Guys seriously makes me doubt your palate to be honest. (no offense)

Soldato
Yeah, opened on 28th April. For £14 I want someone to bring it to me, not for me to stand in a disorganised queue for ten minutes while it's made. It's the wrong side of £10 for that.

I've read about Korzo Haus, may pop by next time I am in NYC. Five napkin burger is supposed to be great there too...

£14 to stand in a McD's style Q? :eek:

That's going bump within 12 months then.

Associate
£14 to stand in a McD's style Q? :eek:

That's going bump within 12 months then.

Nice one mate.

You should probably shoot an email off to Five Guys head office and let them know that the company they've been running since the mid 80s is gonna tank in the next year according to renowned business analyst MagicBoy.

Caporegime
5guys is OK, definitely better out there for less.
Sadly in and out aren't on the east coast so since my move oregon I've been resorting to Wendy's (and Quiznos fir non burgers). Thing is for the same price as 5 guys I can get put of this world schezuan, huge portions made fresh to rider and outrageously tasty.

Caporegime
I think Handmade Burger & Co makes the best sub £10 burgers, even regular voucher to get 1 and another for £1. All cook to order, different kind of buns at your choosing, so many toppings options and waiter service.

The best burger though i've had is 7Bones in Southampton. It was like melt in the mouth, fresh and when i left I said I go back again as soon as I can, which I did the next day....I am in Southampton this weekend for a shoot I plan to go back again! It's that good.

Soldato
Nice one mate.

You should probably shoot an email off to Five Guys head office and let them know that the company they've been running since the mid 80s is gonna tank in the next year according to renowned business analyst MagicBoy.

Where did I say the "company is going to tank"?

The discussion here as regards Five Guys was the Trafford Centre. If you are going to come over all smart-arse at least read the rest of the thread first.

Soldato
Im stuck in a fast food rut.. my fav is the Big Tasty from mcd's with NO sauce or veg and S&S Sauce all over it. Dunno why but i cant get enough of that

Back
Top Bottom