Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
had a patty and bun yesterday and then stumbled across 5 guys while walking, diddnt like the setup it had much seemed a little more commercial. that said not tasted the burgers?

Soldato
Soldato
Walked past the Five Guys in Wimbledon last night, place is huge!

Still not going to bother, the whole reason I liked them in the US was because they were cheap, the UK version is expensive.
Has it opened now? No doubt it will do well, but I'd rather go to Honest Burgers in Tooting.

Soldato
Don't think they do a burger?
They do, I had it on Saturday. It's actually a refreshing change from the 'dirty food' nonsense posted above that you have no hope of eating properly. It's simply a great patty perfectly cooked, with shallots and a bearnaise sauce. Nothing else. Sounds a bit uninteresting but the flavour is immense. Like their steaks it's all about the flavour. And their fries were even better than I remember, too. The waiter told us their chef used to be sous chef at the Fat Duck, so he certainly knows his ingredients. Highly recommended.

EDIT: I think the burger is a 'special' which they just do every day. And if you're around Flat Iron on Denmark St then try out the Smoking Goat. I've only been for a drink, but the food sounds immense.

I used to work just down the road from it and had takeout whilst working late a couple of times. Even though I didn't pay for it I still wanted my money back. Can't see how it's still in business to be honest. Very below-average burger, wet bun with no flavour. Crap chips too. Avoid. I still haven't bothered trying Five Guys but I'd imagine it's fairly similar, just in a 'restaurant' setting.

Last edited:
Associate
I called into a place called Meat In The Middle while passing through Horsham at the weekend. Was very very very good. Much tastier and a better experience than I've had from the likes of MEATLiquor/market, Patty & Bun, Byron, etc.

The best burger I've had was from the Big Red on Holloway Road a couple of years ago. A massive patty handmade on the premises topped with pulled pork and monterey jack. :)

Associate
I like the dirty food burger type :D It reminds me of the homemade burgers we had at home growing up. They had so much everything you had no chance eating it with your hands and it was absolutely delicious. The thing I find annoying is that in UK there is not quite as much options for your burgers, most places has the same old boring options and the buns are really small. And the places that do different options are always so dissapointing and expensive... I have had the best burgers in Finland, for some reason we know how to make good ones even though its not very finnish food :D

Soldato
Just popped down to the local In 'n' Out competitor for lunch - Habit Burger. It's a touch more expensive ($3.95 for a double burger, 75c for cheese) but you have the option of adding bacon ($1) and avocado ($1) plus they do sweet potato fries! ($1 extra)

Puts it closer to the Five Guys price range, IMO the burgers are still better but the 5G fries are v good plus lots of them!

In terms of taste Habit's patties are slightly larger than In n Out and also flame-grill the patties, so basically the In N Out vs Habit Burger choice mirrors the McDs vs BK choice except in this case both choices are outstanding :cool:

Sage words :

eYMKpspl.jpg

Nuff said

pWmEferl.jpg

Soldato
Compared to an In 'n' Out Double-Double at $3.45 it is :p

Tbh Five Guys is pretty over-priced here as well, a double cheeseburger with bacon and a few toppings sets you back $9.89 which is pretty ridiculous when you have In n Out and Habit as competitors for near enough half the price!

Can't argue with both of the top two being within 5 minutes drive though - as it happens our local Habit is actually the original location which has since expanded into 100 odd places on and around the West Coast.

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...r-guess-who-has-americas-best-burger-hin.aspx

Last edited:
Soldato
They do, I had it on Saturday. It's actually a refreshing change from the 'dirty food' nonsense posted above that you have no hope of eating properly. It's simply a great patty perfectly cooked, with shallots and a bearnaise sauce. Nothing else. Sounds a bit uninteresting but the flavour is immense. Like their steaks it's all about the flavour. And their fries were even better than I remember, too. The waiter told us their chef used to be sous chef at the Fat Duck, so he certainly knows his ingredients. Highly recommended.

EDIT: I think the burger is a 'special' which they just do every day. And if you're around Flat Iron on Denmark St then try out the Smoking Goat. I've only been for a drink, but the food sounds immense.

Sounds interesting - is it just the Denmark St one or both? Smoking Goat is indeed amazing - been there a couple of times - after giving up trying to get into kanada-ya - the chicken wings are immense!

I used to work just down the road from it and had takeout whilst working late a couple of times. Even though I didn't pay for it I still wanted my money back. Can't see how it's still in business to be honest. Very below-average burger, wet bun with no flavour. Crap chips too. Avoid. I still haven't bothered trying Five Guys but I'd imagine it's fairly similar, just in a 'restaurant' setting.

Interesting - I work near there and hadn't tried it, think I'll pass given the number of better options.

Back
Top Bottom