Big, quickish saloon/estate 4k

Caporegime
I wouldn't want an A6 at £4k. You'd be looking at a C5 A6, which are old, very old, and they also look old, certainly aged worse than the E39.

The A4 would end up being a B6, which are "ok", but nothing more than that. I think I'd rather have an E46 3-Series over a B6 A4.

A legacy isn't a credible alternative to someone who wants an E39.

Soldato
OP
Nothing against Audis, it's just the particular era covered by my budget are damn fugly. BMW's alternatives at this price point are just... better.

Reconsidering the 9-5 Aero, I didn't realise I could be looking at 05-06 models at my budget.

Associate
Nothing against Audis, it's just the particular era covered by my budget are damn fugly. BMW's alternatives at this price point are just... better.

Reconsidering the 9-5 Aero, I didn't realise I could be looking at 05-06 models at my budget.

That was the main thing, other than the comfort and power that attracted me to them. 2004-2006 are the models to look for as they corrected the earlier issues and the 2006+ facelift is awful. Mine only cost me £2.3K for an early 2004 2 owner one with fssh but due a service and needing a little work (rear shocks) and a pair of tyres.

Tea Drinker
Don
I have a E39 2.5 SE tourer auto and it's fine, it's the best auto box I've driven it just does what you expect when you want it no random changes or constantly changing up and down, I slip it over to 'S' for in town, the power is more than adequate but I've not driven the 3.0 so can't compare is it's considerably down.

You'll have a larger choice of better vehicles of you buy an SE but if I had to buy one again I'd take the long game and buy the Sport.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24194910&postcount=1033

Parts are cheap and readily available and they are pretty easy to work on.

Soldato
MG ZT190 estate? Fairly nice 2.5 V6 however it's FWD which sucks.

Comfy though, and have a lovely snappy power delivery! Reliable too.
When I was looking for a nice 190, 3k would get you a 55/06 model with Nav, Cruise, TC and everything else.

Soldato
£4k could just get you a nice XJ, but you won't get the economy of the 530i. To be honest, in your position I'd probably go for a 530i but it's considerably more difficult to find a good one of those than it is to find a good XJ.

Soldato
Despite the 18yr old that posted a thread recently, aren't Jags and MG ZTs a bit too 'old man' for a 22year old? :p

I'm 35 and I feel old driving my old man's XJ.

Saying that, if big and comfy are what you want, that is def Jag territory. S-Type looks tend to polarize opinion though.

Associate
if the OP thinks he will have a hard time finding a manual 530, he will have his work cut out finding a manual XJ!

with an auto you have a bit more choice when it comes to big engined saloons, but it depends what your after. an XJR would be a lot of fun imo.

is the Mazda6 MPS any good? i know very little about them but i know the mazda 3 mps is a bit of a rocket.

Soldato
Despite the 18yr old that posted a thread recently, aren't Jags and MG ZTs a bit too 'old man' for a 22year old? :p

I'm 35 and I feel old driving my old man's XJ.

Saying that, if big and comfy are what you want, that is def Jag territory. S-Type looks tend to polarize opinion though.

A ZT190 isn't really the same as an XJ, totally different feel. They're pretty hard and geared for quick acceleration, plus they're incredibly glued to the road. The handling is fantastic. The XJ is more of a cruiser.

I see the ZT as more of a late 20s to 30s car rather than old man - I had mine at 21 and it was fantastic. That V6 roar... :)

Admittedly, I did once chuck a cheap eBay cone filter I found in my shed on it, just to see what it sounded like. Oh my! :o

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom