Big Screen Gaming! - Can't Decide!

Associate
Ok, for the last week I've been going round the houses trying to choose the best option for big screen gaming. My options vary from getting a bigger monitor to overhauling my room with a Home-Theater setup!

The options:
1) Get a Dell 2407FP and X1900XT (I know this is very popular here :D)
2) Get an LCD HDTV which will connect happily to the DVI port on my X800XT and play games/movies at 1080i (make and model suggestions welcome)
3) Invest in a projector setup and have a wall of gaming beauty, in addition to the Dell E196FP I have for 'normal' pc use (again, make and model suggestions welcome)

I should point out that I am getting shot of my pig of a Sony 28" CRT TV so whichever route I go down, it will have an input, in some way shape or form (most likely composite) from my Telewest cable box.
If those of you with pics could post them as well I'd be most grateful, just so that I can get a feel of what different setups will look like.

Cheers.

Associate
Hi

I have a similar setup at the moment (lcd TV for gaming with a projector for movies and when mates come round for a bit of multiplayer gaming)

A projector is not ideal for all round use bulbs have limited life and are expensive to replace and they do need a darkened room to use effectily.

LCD tv's are nice for console gaming but most that are affordable are stuck a low res compared to big screen pc lcds.

I have just ordered the BenQ 24" widescreen lcd from here and it is similar to the dell but with HDMI inputs and 1080p compatability.

My advice is to forget the projector and get the dell and x1900xt and just be happy with the knowledge that you have got a great screen for a lot less than the other options

Associate
OP
I knew the 2407 would be the most popular option ;)

Just thinking, If I did go down the route of LCD HDTV, would it acctually work with the DVI-Out on my X800XT. Only reason I ask is because according to a competitors site, the only cards which support HDCP/HDMI are the X1600, X1800 and X1900 series?

Any ideas?

Associate
The problem you have is that to get a lcd capable of displaying a true 1080i/p picture it will have to be a 37" model and start at around £1500 for a no brand chinese model or so.

Im not too sure about your graphics card but you want to connect via DVI so the hdmi connector is not an issue and HDCP is not valid until you start to play blu-ray or one of the other hi-def video formats as far as I know ( I might be wrong but I think HDCP is the copy protection used to stop you recording hi-def material to tape not something I need to do so never looked into it)

As I said I cannot recommend a projector for everyday use and I am typing this on a PC connected to a 32" lcd tv and while it is cool for gaming on the res at 1360x768 (native) just doesn't cut it for me on PC games (fantastic for consoles though)

Associate
There is only 1 option for big screen gaming and that is a projector. :)
The experience is a massive jump compared to going up resolutions on desktop screens.
Plan carefully though, how are you going to be sitting, room size darkness etc, they are not cheap to run, bulb life, and up to 300w power consumption, dont like dusty rooms, can be noisy, on the plus side they are quite light and portable so you can take them in any room easily, shine them at a white wall adjust the size to suit and they completely blow you away for movies and driving games. :)

Associate
SC04 said:
There is only 1 option for big screen gaming and that is a projector. :)
The experience is a massive jump compared to going up resolutions on desktop screens.
Plan carefully though, how are you going to be sitting, room size darkness etc, they are not cheap to run, bulb life, and up to 300w power consumption, dont like dusty rooms, can be noisy, on the plus side they are quite light and portable so you can take them in any room easily, shine them at a white wall adjust the size to suit and they completely blow you away for movies and driving games. :)

I agree but it's not practical for his needs (i.e wants to watch telewest cable on it so it's not really suited tbh and would be wasted at that size).

OP you never said if you are going to use a seperate room or what size room the screen will be used in? I have my stuff setup in our main lounge but it is a large room so it accomodates the 108" screen easily (covers the double windows during day use ) but you need to size the room for seating distance as if you sit too close it can be hard to concentrate on what you are seeing

Associate
Go with the 24" lcd mate tbh a projector in a room that size is overkill but it also depends on your budget and ability to keep up the costs on the bulbs if you go for a projector (approx price £150 for around 5000hrs depending on make and model).

If you get a projector then you will want a nice amp and speaker setup to really do it justice and that is more money.

A room that size with the normal amount of furniture (bed, wardrobe, desk, av unit etc.) would be better off with either lcd option but just for the higher res I would go with the PC option

Hope this helps

If not set a budget in your mind and try to find the bits you would like for that budget

Associate
What's your budget?

For the LCD TV route you could consider the Sony KDL-40W2000 40", which has been getting excellent reviews. Check out the 'What Hi-Fi? Sound & Vision' review (can be found online). It can be used as a PC monitor and outputs 1920x1080 resolution. I've just splashed out on one of these babies and am waiting for it to arrive. I will use it as my main TV with the odd spot of high res gaming as well (currently use a 20" widescreen monitor).

Soldato
Trust me... Go for the projector...... My Bedroom....

Image000.jpg

DSCF0516.JPG

Nate

Last edited:
Soldato
the only thing you REALLY need to consider when getting a projector is the NATIVE RESOLUTION trying to read a 1024x768 page of writing on a 800x600 projector is really bad, if you were to use it as a normal pc screen,

if your just going to game or watch telewest (i do this on mine) then a projecor would be great but bulbs are expensive and dont last very long in dusy rooms and you dont get the pure image quality that you would if you got the Dell and a X1900XT.

i have a projector and 2x17" monitors and i prefer the monitors for games as you get better blacks and image quality.

Go for the Dell & the X1900XT you will not be atall dissapointed,
Im buying a 2407wfp to go with my x1900xt at christmas :D

StevenG

Back
Top Bottom