Big Typhoon owners check your nuts :O

Associate
I just thought I would share this with you all.

I replaced a XP90C with a Big Typhoon a short while ago as I was not too impressed with the XP90'S cooling(even with a 120mm fan!) and then sure enough I see that my temps are relatively high still.

I have a Opteron 148@2950 with 1.52volts going through it and under load I was seeing over 50C sometimes as high as 54C,it was idling at 38C.

When I fitted the BT I was a little wary about doing the securing nuts up too tight so was probably over cautious and didnt tighten them enough.Grabbed a 5mm socket from my toolbox this evening when I left work and I have just tightened the retaining nuts up quite a few turns and found its lowered my idle/load temps quite a lot.

Now it reads 35C idle,45c load.

This is on a DFI NF4 board btw which on which you have to fiddle around with the mountings slightly I believe to get the BT to fit unlike other boards.

Obviously this may not apply to everyone and I would not reccomend it to anyone who has taken the IHS off their A64 chip as I guess it would be quite possible to crush the core.

Note nothing else within the case has changed at all.I am still using the same fans etc and I have not turned my heating down(I know the ambient temp is a lot higher than it has been today for quite a while).

Steve

Associate
I have had to use a zip tie to hold mine up slightly as it is only a few millimetres above my graphics card. The problem is that is I have it too tight my temps go up quite a bit. With doing this I have to tighten my nuts quite regularly which do seem to continue to loosen.

Man of Honour
I use wingnuts on my BT. That way its much easier to get the pressure more evenly spread ensuring best possible contact with the cpu. Its all to difficult tightening normal nuts together at the same time(as you can imagine!) but with the wingnuts its easy.

Soldato
Steve JL said:
I would not reccomend it to anyone who has taken the IHS off their A64 chip as I guess it would be quite possible to crush the core.
Opposite sentiments here, it's the perfect cooler for IHS-less CPU's as it doesn't require the cooler retention mechanisms which stop the majority of coolers from making contact with naked chips. If you're going to be hard core enough to risk the chip by removing the IHS then I don't think you're going to be too worried about making sure the weight of this sink is evenly balanced before you start bolting it down.

I do agree it's an excellent cooler though, I'm well happy with mine.

Associate
Its a brilliant cooler and works perfect for my IHSless laptop 3200+. The securing plate thing is quite flexible and i know from experience that you can clearly see it bending before it'll crack the core. The only problems ive had with mine is trying to get to the nuts too tighten them, and it sits against my gfx card when i used an MSI K8N NEO.

Soldato
melymel2789 said:
Its a brilliant cooler and works perfect for my IHSless laptop 3200+. The securing plate thing is quite flexible and i know from experience that you can clearly see it bending before it'll crack the core. The only problems ive had with mine is trying to get to the nuts too tighten them, and it sits against my gfx card when i used an MSI K8N NEO.

On my NEO I had to butcher the blue plastic brace on the back of my GFX card, to allow for the heatpipes. As for the nuts, I never used them, just the standard screws down into the back plate.

Associate
OP
PieEater said:
Opposite sentiments here, it's the perfect cooler for IHS-less CPU's as it doesn't require the cooler retention mechanisms which stop the majority of coolers from making contact with naked chips. If you're going to be hard core enough to risk the chip by removing the IHS then I don't think you're going to be too worried about making sure the weight of this sink is evenly balanced before you start bolting it down.

I do agree it's an excellent cooler though, I'm well happy with mine.

True,good point didnt think of it like that I guess.

Steve

Associate
there is a product called locktight to keep nuts secure.its like a semi permanent glue for metal bolts.if you only use a fraction of a drop, it will secure small nuts properly,whilst still enabling undo,without hassle.I use to use it on my nf7 water cooler bolts so they wouldnt loosen,when fiddling.

you should practice first on a seperate nut/bolt so you know how to use it.

Last edited:
Soldato
i got this cooler on an xp2000 palomino cpu and its very good. fitting was not too hard although the board did seem to bend a little when i had the backplate of the BT fitted.

iv tightend it up enough so that the top bracked that holds the heatsink down is bending a little under the pressure. no cracked core as of yet even though im using an xp cpu.

Associate
Yup, got one of these, excelent coolers. I did put in a product request to ocuk for it before i got mine back in june but they never bothered, glad to see they got em in eventually.

Back
Top Bottom