bike for a shorty

jcr

jcr

Associate
ive been getting the itch to get back on 2 wheels lately. wrong time of year i know. thing is im only 5ft 6in so a lot of bikes are simply to tall for me. for example, many years ago a mate had a susuki gs850, when i sat on it i could only get the tip of my toes on the ground so was unable to take it out for a spin.

my last bike was a gsx550 about 25 years ago.been cars since then.
the bike will be just for fun. no particular style in mind. for example, ive been looking at royal enfield bullets, fazer 600, sv1000, street triple.

have set a budget of sub £3000 for the bike. no rush to buy.
would like some opinions. thanks.

Soldato
Lots of Kawasaki road bikes have a low seat height that's totally fine for your height. Try a few for size at your local dealer and see if they fit.

Soldato
My wife is 5' 5" and can easily manage the old model ZZR600. Pretty good fun to ride, as well!
You might also consider a Triumph Daytona, or perhaps a Fireblade. Both seemed quite good for the vertically challenged.

Just don't fall into the trap of getting a Cruiser. They have a low seat height, but many have the controls quite far forward and it's often a fair stretch for the shorter guys.

Man of Honour
Neither my SV650S or my Honda Blackbird caused me any issues and I'm only 5'5 with a 27 inch inside leg. The bird was tiptoes on both feet but didn't cause me any problems.

jcr

jcr

Associate
OP
thanks for the suggestions folks. used to lust after fireblades when they came out. id rather have a bike where i can see the engine these days though. so full fairings arent at the top of my list.
the sv650 seems to be very popular from looking at bikes for sale. plenty of used ones to choose from. but i think i might find it a bit under powered after the initial thrill of being back on a bike again subsides. the sv1000 did catch my eye though, along with the fazer 1000. theres quite a few advertised in my price range, and i do like the sound of v twin engines. an early street triple might just be within my budget too, but im not sure about the seat height.
i think the daytona might have a bit too sporty a riding position for me these days. at 49 im not sure if i could manage the super sport riding position for too long any more:(

jcr

jcr

Associate
OP
going to look at a Yamaha Thunderace today. old school but cheap. from reading reviews, they are very well liked by people who have owned them.
when my partner asked, i told her it was an old bike with only a litre engine. seemed to work :D

Back
Top Bottom