Bike License.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
I've been wanting to get my Bike license since I was a kid but never was able to do it. Now that I'm older I fancy getting it done. What are my options? is direct access the best thing to do? I understand that doing that will allow me to ride any size bike rather than being stuck at sub 650.

I've been driving cars for 15+ years, and up to a year ago I used to Mountain bike every weekend so hopefully it shouldn't be too hard of a transition to Motorbikes.

Are the 5 day intensive courses any good? does anyone have any experience of these?

Si.

the way it worked with mine (direct access) was that i went and did my cbt, told them i wanted my full test and they reccommend a 3 day course if you are already semi competent at ridin a bike!

i wouldnt go for a 5 day cos 2 days plus a test morning is enough!
you would not be able to ride a 650 without it, i think that it is rated to horsepower and or kw now, 22bhp??? anyway, short of doing your direct access you would be stuck ridin a slower 250 bike (many of the 250 sports bikes are actually to powerful to ride without a restrictor. hope this helps! shop qaround for prices, they vary drastically! good luck!

Have a look in the sticky at the top, it explains it all.

As you are over 21, you have the following options:

CBT > DAS Test > Any bike

OR

CBT > Normal bike test > 33bhp for 2 years > Any bike

OR

CBT > Normal bike test > 33bhp bike > Accellerated Access > Any bike

Can I tack a post onto this thread..? I want to get my bike license probably early next year, how much will the "CBT > DAS Test > Any bike" route cost? I'm 33 and have been driving for a long time etc.. :)

Oh, and what would be a decent "starter" bike - nothing too pansy but nothing that's going to be too much to handle straight away..

£500 for a DAS etc

What type of bikes are you into? SV650 is a starting block for a lot of people comes in fully faired race type or naked streetfighter type. Its a V-twin with lots of low down power, but its still fast when you want it to be.

Mohinder said:
Not really...

It does if you ride on public roads, you know more about road awerness if you've been on a normal bike. you know people wont see you, ignore you and will cut you up because of it.

Any previous road experience is going to give him headway, whether it be on a push bike, car or winnebago :D

riddlermarc said:
Can I tack a post onto this thread..? I want to get my bike license probably early next year, how much will the "CBT > DAS Test > Any bike" route cost? I'm 33 and have been driving for a long time etc.. :)

Oh, and what would be a decent "starter" bike - nothing too pansy but nothing that's going to be too much to handle straight away..

You can usually get around 100 quid off your DAS/CBT if the place you buy your bike from does training too.

SV as already mentioned seems to be a popular choice for those starting out and wanting a good allround machine.
I went for the Kawasaki ER6 which is coming up about the same in recent reviews I could find. I just didnt like the looks of the SV personally.

Honda Hornet and the Yammy FZ6 are also worth a look IMO (but a bit more pricey than the other two)

Si. said:
Are the 5 day intensive courses any good? does anyone have any experience of these?

I did the direct access (DAS) course with Circuit Based Training who used to be based at Donington but I think are now are at Mallory.

I'd bought all my own leathers, lid, gloves etc but they did have a load of loan kit.

Having no riding experience before I booked the full 5 days. The first day we did the theory and highway code in the morning and then onto the bikes (Bandit 600) in the car park to do the basics of riding e.g. gears etc and manoeuvres. With that done I did my CBT.

Day two started back on the bikes riding around the infield and support roads within Donington Park. We then went "off road" around the in-field (for those who use to watch the RAC Rally at Donington it was around that. This was quite unexpected but gave you a good experience of bike control.

After that we were onto the road, was a bit nervous at first as all seemed a little fast (not the speed, the progression) but after 20 minutes I was loving it. We had radio communication, day glo vests and L plates. There was the instructor and 2 students. What was even more bizarre was they said you need to make "progress" i.e. use the bikes performance (not to the extend you were braking the speed limit or wheeling but you were expect to get up to the speed limit briskly). This was such a change from learning to drive in a car when you are going SOOOOO slow milk floats are overtaking you. Was nice to pull up to a traffic lights in the right hand lane, L plates on, dual carriage way (60 zone) and just leave the cars standing in the left lane :D

We drove about the East Midlands. Around the ring roads of Derby and Nottingham and around the test routes. I managed to get split up from the instructor at one point and the he did say where he was going to stop and wait for me over the radio but the reception was a bit dodgy where I was and I couldn't make it out. So I had an unsupervised ride back to Donington via the A50 and the chance to ride a little more briskly ;)

Day three they tried to book me on my test but couldn't get a spot. The other student did and we practiced on the roads some more and then waited for him as he did his test. He failed. Made a bit of a mess of it to be honest. This got me a little nervous as he had been riding on the roads (ahem, illegally) for a few years before and was here to get "legal".

Day four didn't happen as the ONLY examiner for bikes in the WHOLE of Nottingham was ill and Derby was all booked up from people from Notts. So I was scheduled in a week or so later. Did the test and passed with only one minor and that was due to dodgy signs in Nottingham where I got in the wrong lane!

The fifth day I had left over they let me join a cornering course where we got to practice cornering on Donington's Melbourne loop :D

All in all I enjoyed, go for it!

Hunger Strike said:
£500 for a DAS etc

What type of bikes are you into? SV650 is a starting block for a lot of people comes in fully faired race type or naked streetfighter type. Its a V-twin with lots of low down power, but its still fast when you want it to be.
Not to sound dodgy but it has to be big and black, definitely not a fully faired race bike.. I'm more a hog man than a Ducati man. TBH I don't know an awful lot about bikes, although a fair few mates have them and are part of the local MAG (one's even an advanced bike mechanic, said he'd check out any potential purchases with me).

2005%5C09%5C23%5Cbikepics-434111-800.jpg

2006%5C01%5C07%5Cbikepics-497242-800.jpg

.. I like the style of the first one more :)

Hunger Strike said:
It does if you ride on public roads, you know more about road awerness if you've been on a normal bike. you know people wont see you, ignore you and will cut you up because of it.

Any previous road experience is going to give him headway, whether it be on a push bike, car or winnebago :D

I know what you're getting at but saying 'I've ridden mountainbikes so it shouldn't be too hard a transition' is just ridiculous.

Having never ridden a motorbike on the road before you'll probably have to do the "5 day course" which is basically CBT, a weeks worth of lessons (1/2 a day each) and on the last day you'll do your test. It's by far the best way of doing it as you're on the bike every day, day after day, for most of the day. You really start learning about the bike a lot more. If you want to get the "feel" of a bike in before you give it a go to work on your balance, awareness, gear changes/clutch control and general familiarity, it might be worth doing just the CBT and getting some experience.

Personally I think at your age and road experience you'll be a) sensible enough to take it easy b) be able to learn quickly enough c) know the rules of the road so that would be one less thing to think about d)have the maturity for riding a bike with over 33bhp.

My first bike after my DAS was around 59/60 bhp. I now ride something around 100bhp. I ride in London so you soon learn to have 3 pairs of eyes looking everywhere - that's probably the most important thing on a bike, awareness and observation.

I say give it a go, and get yourself a nice 600 or something like that and enjoy yourself. :)

I did my CBT yesterday. It was very very easy for anyone with riding experience (obviously) because its only teaching basic bike control and roadcraft, but I'd recommend not doing what one lad did. He'd just bought a brand new 125 and had it delivered directly to the CBT place. He had no riding experience and because it was a brand new bike he was basically terrified of damaging it. This led to increased nerves and very slow progress for all of us.

So I'd say if you cant ride a bike then its definitely better to pay the extra £20 and use one of the hire bikes.

Got my DAS test on the 14th July to get the entitlement back on my license lol.

Sagalout said:
I did my CBT yesterday. It was very very easy for anyone with riding experience (obviously) because its only teaching basic bike control and roadcraft, but I'd recommend not doing what one lad did. He'd just bought a brand new 125 and had it delivered directly to the CBT place. He had no riding experience and because it was a brand new bike he was basically terrified of damaging it. This led to increased nerves and very slow progress for all of us.

So I'd say if you cant ride a bike then its definitely better to pay the extra £20 and use one of the hire bikes.

Got my DAS test on the 14th July to get the entitlement back on my license lol.

Can't agree more.

I had my shiney new Aprilia RS125 SP 2 months before I booked my CBT. I learnt basic clutch control and use of gears prior to the test and made it a lot easier.

I'm currently deciding the route to take regarding bike tests. I'm soon to be 23, but havent riden a bike for a good 2 years. The Aprilia's still in the garage and I'm rapidly getting it sorted and looking nice again. Question is, do I take my full test now (using their bike) but use my Aprilia this summer for riding experience. Or, trade my 125 in, book my test and get the Yamaha R6 I've seen (£3999 DK motorcycles)

I'm just using my 125 as actual transport and will then trade it in when I've passed my test on their ER5.

No point trading in the RS until you've passed your test I'd have thought.

I'd definately go for the DAS route, otherwise you will be bored to tears waiting 2 years. Best to do it now than wait as the government seem intent on making it harder year on year.

I went for weekly lessons which worked out for me, but the 3-5 day route is something a lot of people do. Also definately use the schools bike's dont buy your own.

I'm sure the list of starter bikes is the usual SV, Hornet, CBF, ER, CB stuff, but dont rule out trailies and retros etc.

My first bike (I had a ped for a year and have done motox stuff though) was a Suzuki GSX1400, huge big retro bike with a large lazy engine (101bhp tho). The insurance was lower than a sports 600 and it was a lot more bike for the money.

.... and now 4 years later I've got a Kawasaki ZZR-1400..... yeeeee haaaaaa :D

BTW, the chap above on about "making progress". That was something I noticed when doing lessons! Twas ubzah to blast past cars on the dual carriageway etc.

Back
Top Bottom