Bike License

Soldato
Do some quotes - for a 600cc naked as a new rider, in a decent area at your age I'd guess £600-700.

As for the jacket, is it textile or leather? Can't tell by the picture. you want it tight enough so that the armour fits into place, arm size isn't really important, length is though, but shoulder fit is most important. A textile jacket is normally a little looser than leather, leathers should feel liket they're holding you in at first (like a second skin) as they stretch a little to fit you.

Soldato
OP
Do some quotes - for a 600cc naked as a new rider, in a decent area at your age I'd guess £600-700.

As for the jacket, is it textile or leather? Can't tell by the picture. you want it tight enough so that the armour fits into place, arm size isn't really important, length is though, but shoulder fit is most important. A textile jacket is normally a little looser than leather, leathers should feel liket they're holding you in at first (like a second skin) as they stretch a little to fit you.

Just done a quote, cane up at around £2,000 ish :eek: I can only assume if I called them I would be able to lower that. I will be moving to Hastings direct for my car insurance next month, I know they do bike insurance, so would I be correct in thinking if I already have a policy with then, I might be able to gain some sort of discount.

The jacket I was warring was textile. When I eventually ride, I will be commuting to work, so I would need to wear something which will be comfortable with a shirt/tie and trousers underneath. I don't think leathers would be good for that unless I'm wrong? My understanding is that they are much tighter and like a 'second skin'.

Edit: out of question, I know someone who might be selling a 650 bandit, with lower miliage. What are the thoughts about one of these? Reliable?

I have looked around and it appears that one of those can be restricted to an A2 license standard too.

Last edited:
Associate
Just done a quote, cane up at around £2,000 ish :eek: I can only assume if I called them I would be able to lower that. I will be moving to Hastings direct for my car insurance next month, I know they do bike insurance, so would I be correct in thinking if I already have a policy with then, I might be able to gain some sort of discount.
That's probably what I'd expect assuming it's not garaged. If you don't have a garage the cost of bike insurance is astronomical. My bike is probably worth around £3k and it cost me £800 to insure it this year (FC w/ 1y NCD), that is London though.
Ive found the leading factor in un-garaged bike insurance is the value of the bike, unlike cars where for young people it tends to focus more on the power of the vehicle.

Soldato
OP
I have a garage, unsure if I out it on the quotation. However, I will have some steel doors fitted, and both a Oxford lock brace (screwed into the ground) and an oxford chain and lock, then the bike will be secure!

I was hoping that the insurance would be less than 1k. :(

Soldato
What would make more sense, from a safety point of view, is progression for everyone. Why should Mr. 24-year-old be able to go from never ridden to full A licence with a super bike within a week whereas Mr. 18-year-old who might have been riding mopeds for two years and be a better rider get completely screwed when it comes to licence and insurance? I realise they have to base it on some sort of average/statistics though.

I started riding 125s on my 17th birthday, and passed my A (restricted) on my 18th, did my two years restriction and have now been derestricted for 3 years. My cousin waited until he was 24 and did his test, his insurance with 0 NCB and no experience was cheaper than mine! I had 3 years NCB at the time and I now have 5, I bet his is still cheaper! And frankly, he's not the best rider at all.

Hell, I'm looking at upgrading from my 636, a 2013 GSXR750 worth £6k is £800 insurance and a 2013 Ducati Multistrada worth £8k is £520. I'm tempted by the Multistrada!

Back
Top Bottom