Bike Maintenance tool storage

fez

fez

Caporegime
Hi all,

Need some inspiration, I currently have all my bike maintenance tools in a rolling tool box.

One of these

I'm after something better but needs to be portable as I dont have much room in the garage. How do you store your tools and can you recommend anything better?

Thanks!

I went slightly down this rabbit hole recently and the general consensus seems to be that there isn't really a great way to do it. You can go down the custom case route where you build your own multi-level cases with cutouts in foam for all your specific tools but thats expensive, time consuming and if you change tools it needs to be modified/done again.

Some brands have really nice tool systems that come in fold out cases but they are insane money and if you already have loads of tools thats probably a non starter. I think you can buy the tool boxes without the tools but they are silly money still. £450 or so for the park tool one sans tools.

The other option that seems to be reasonably popular is to just try and organise your tools a little better and use standard boxes like you are. Get some tool rolls to put groups of tools in or at least to allow you to take out and lay out cleanly what you have rather than digging around in a big bin of tools each time.

I've just got a workshop apron and a tool roll is en-route to help with doing bike stuff and keeping it all organised because currently all my most used tools are just in a standard tool box and its a mess.

I would love something like the park tool box but I would pay perhaps £150 for it at an absolute push.

Soldato
Rolling tool cabinet is the standard thing used by mechanics.

buy a decent heavy duty one and they last a lifetime if looked after.

Last edited:
Associate
I just went for a couple of each of these and found they're a good combo, however appreciate it's like what you have already. They're often on offer for £19.99...

Soldato
I have a basic Aldi toolbox so can take tools in the car for a sportive or trip away.

In the garage, I bought a cheap trolley cart for the toolbox and always out stuff like allen keys, lubes etc. I used to have everything on an old table but it was a pain dodging it all the time, so the trolley wins when not in use.

Caporegime
everything I need for my bike fits in a shoe box pretty much...
you guys are hoarding tools you don't actually need for the bike because you bought sets or?

I think the only thing I'm missing is a bearing press/extractor for pivot bearings.

what I have would barely fills the bottom of a backpack but I can do everything I need to the bike.

Associate
Depends on frequency of use really. A basic tool box with tray and top separators on the lid is enough for me, with a tool bag for taking out which share no tools with the main kit. Bigger tools like a press in another box. Then another box for greases, lubes, cleaning, etc.

If you have an organised garage, then wall mounted tools and bits boxes would be nice.

As mentioned above, kit can be downscaled potentially. Do you need a cone spanner kit when you can buy a decent adjustable thin head spanner? Things like extractors don't need their own arms and can use one driver for all of them sometimes. But again, depends on frequency of use. I have a mix of Park Tools workshop and cheapo stuff for that reason.

I find spare parts is the annoying bit, they out number tools severely.

Caporegime
everything I need for my bike fits in a shoe box pretty much...
you guys are hoarding tools you don't actually need for the bike because you bought sets or?

I think the only thing I'm missing is a bearing press/extractor for pivot bearings.

what I have would barely fills the bottom of a backpack but I can do everything I need to the bike.

I've a toolbag that fits everything a bike needs, plus more. Including bearing press.

I have managed to get my spare parts down though. Had about 6 tyres in the shed at one point!

fez

fez

Caporegime
I have managed to get my spare parts down though. Had about 6 tyres in the shed at one point!

Yeah I need to have a cleanse. I think I have 2 sets of wheels with tyres on. Another set that doesn't have any tyres on. About 6 spare MTB tyres. Most of a groupset and dozens of other spare parts that need to go.

Caporegime
Yeah I need to have a cleanse. I think I have 2 sets of wheels with tyres on. Another set that doesn't have any tyres on. About 6 spare MTB tyres. Most of a groupset and dozens of other spare parts that need to go.

I got rid of the lot, spare wheel, cranks pedals, chainrings , half worn cassettes etc etc etc. had sat about for years thinking 'i might need these one day. Never did. Donated it to lbs

fez

fez

Caporegime
I got rid of the lot, spare wheel, cranks pedals, chainrings , half worn cassettes etc etc etc. had sat about for years thinking 'i might need these one day. Never did. Donated it to lbs

Yeah, the half worn cassettes can probably go. No one will want them.

Caporegime
lol I chucked away a worn chain the other day, No Idea why I was keeping it.

fez

fez

Caporegime
lol I chucked away a worn chain the other day, No Idea why I was keeping it.

Just in case your chain snaps randomly and you can't get a new one that very day and you just must go out on a ride. That or a bit of mans tendency to hoard stuff that will be useful 5% of the time and by that I mean 5% of the items you hoard will help you slightly once in your lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom