Bike Racks for heavier bikes?

Associate
Hi all,

I found this excellent thread about bike racks and thought that I could get a Saris Bones for my VW Golf - seemed like a fit, could fit three bikes, etc, etc.

The only issue is bike weight, between the family we are very much casual bikers so more about Carrera than light-weight things that cost much more - not normally a problem, but looking at the weight limit on the Saris it's 45kg (15kg max. per bike) the issue here is that my wife has a 15.4kg bike (according to the Halfords spec), my son has a junior bike that is towards 11kg and I am between bikes but imagine that any new version would sit around the 14kg mark from previous experience (these bikes never feel that heavy to me, but I am basing this off the weight given in the specification). So, does my wife having a bike that is over the limit (slightly) but me in dubious territory?

So, are there any alternatives? Not keen on a tow fitting as that would require bolting something on-to my car that is probably near the end of it's lifespan, but does anyone have experience with roof racks as an alternative to those that sit on the back of the car?

Previously I used to stick my son's bike in the back of the car and we'd hire a couple where ever we went to, but obviously that limits venues, and now he has a bigger bike it takes up too much room for this to be an option (no additional space in the back).

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom