Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
Wondering if you fine people can help me out again with my YBR again.

This morning when I went to start up the bike it took a little longer to turn over than normal (~2 seconds instead of instant), but didn't think too much of it. On the way to work (only 10 minutes away), maybe about 5 minutes in I got a sudden complete loss of power (was travelling about 50mph revs about 6/7/8k?), and had to pull over to the side (thankfully not a busy road). Sparked the engine back up instantly and was fine for the remainder of the trip.

Getting home, started up fine, again a few minutes in and got a temporary loss of power (think I was again around 6-8k revs) where it was fluctuating giving power and no power for a few seconds. Then it went back to normal and rode home very steadily on lowish revs and seemed to be fine.

At home, checked the oil which was not super low but low ish on the stick (maybe like 1/6 high), topped it up, changed the spark plug to my old working plug in case it was that. Turned it, started fine, let it run for 10-20 secs, revved it up to about 6-7k seemed ok, back down, went to rev it again and spluttered and died.

Now trying to start it back up and not turning at all. Dash lights work, indicators work fine, headlight comes on when trying to turn and stays on.
The only thing which I can't completely rule out is fuel. My fuel gauge doesn't really work so I reset my gauge everytime I fill up. It's only on 178 miles, and a tank should do.. what 240? Easily 200. And when I lightly rock the bike side to side, I can hear/feel the fuel slosh around so highly doubt I'm too low.

Any ideas? It's a 2017 fuel injection model fyi.

https://youtu.be/DZZB4IxCiio

Soldato
Sorry I am at the coast an the internet here is **** so I can't see that video.

Changing the plug alone might not be it. The coil pack could be faulty, there could be a loose connection, or earthing somewhere.

If you pull the spark plug out whilst keeping it connected to everything, then fire the bike up you should be able to see if it's sparking - easier if you do it in the dark.

Transmission breaker
Don
Did you say its not turning at all?
Must be starter/earth/wiring related?
Check earth points, unplug and reconnect as many plugs as you can, checking for dirty or corroded plugs at the same time.
Does the starter solenoid click when you hit the starter?

Soldato
Sorry I am at the coast an the internet here is **** so I can't see that video.

Changing the plug alone might not be it. The coil pack could be faulty, there could be a loose connection, or earthing somewhere.

If you pull the spark plug out whilst keeping it connected to everything, then fire the bike up you should be able to see if it's sparking - easier if you do it in the dark.

Yeah that's what the video showed. Had the spark end close to the metal part of the engine. I'll try that in about half an hour.

Just seen the video. Ok, so it turns over fine, but will not catch.
Check kill switch. Some bikes will crank when it is engaged

No kill switch on this bike!

Associate
200 miles sounds a lot of miles to a tank, has it got a reserve on the fuel tap? Could be down to the reserve. Check fuel has all lines attached, breathers can come off and cause similar issues. If you're down to the bottom of the tank could be crap in the tank has blocked a fuel filter (if there is one) or the tap.

Associate
Been riding in any downpours or constant wet roadspray? I'd be going through the loom from ignition key down and unplugging - spray plugs and connectors with WD40 - replugging. Not worked on a YBR before, does it have a separate coil pack with ignition lead/HT cap going onto spark plug? Or is it an all in one coil pack that goes directly onto spark plug? If it's a coil and lead, the lead could be breaking down.

Soldato

Only just tested this, getting a spark fine! What does that possibly eliminate?

200 miles sounds a lot of miles to a tank, has it got a reserve on the fuel tap? Could be down to the reserve. Check fuel has all lines attached, breathers can come off and cause similar issues. If you're down to the bottom of the tank could be crap in the tank has blocked a fuel filter (if there is one) or the tap.

Only 177 miles. I've been getting 110 mpg so a full tank (13L) should be easily more than 177. No reserve tap on this model. And no fuel filter.

Been riding in any downpours or constant wet roadspray? I'd be going through the loom from ignition key down and unplugging - spray plugs and connectors with WD40 - replugging. Not worked on a YBR before, does it have a separate coil pack with ignition lead/HT cap going onto spark plug? Or is it an all in one coil pack that goes directly onto spark plug? If it's a coil and lead, the lead could be breaking down.

Nope, I'm a fair weather rider! I don't really know much about these things so I couldn't even tell you what a coil pack/ignition lead/HT cap looked like!

-------

So I managed to get a hopefully helpful video. I unplugged and replugged the cables within the immediate proximity to the battery, nothing looked damaged to my knowledge and everything was tightly fit before. Started it up and seemed to run for a little bit! Then after about 30 secs died again. Wouldn't start back up. Pushed the plugs again and sometimes it would start up, sometimes it wouldn't.

Everything is normal up until 0:47 where from this point until the end I kept the throttle at the same place.

https://youtu.be/kpK5nUFl3Rw

Associate
A quick google suggests the fuel pump is problematic on these especially when left in the sun :confused:. Looks like your bike is left outside, can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on?

Soldato
Huh I wonder why that is. I keep it a cover over it so it's not exposed to the elements. Yeah I can hear the fuel pump prime.

My money would be on a failing coil pack but...I am guessing, and it seems looking at the replies others are also, be worth just taking it to a local bike mechanic, who will be able to diagnose and sort it for you.

I bet it is something quite simple and easy to fix though.

Soldato
Given my lack of knowledge, is the coil pack cheap/easy enough to replace that would be worth doing just to rule it out?

I might have get a garage to have a look, not sure how I'd get the bike to them mind! A decent one is about a 10-15 minutes ride away.

I'm going on holiday tomorrow so won't be able to do anything more for the next couple of weeks. Thanks for all that have helped so far. I'll pick this back up in due course!

Soldato
Yup, part is about £20, or less depending where you shop.

Just YouTube how to do it, should be pretty easy on that bike.

I'd still not be confident enough to advise you to do that though, it's £20 plus the time it'll take you to figure out how to do it, might not solve the problem.

Soldato
So, we are buying a house yay!
I need to sell my car to make up some funds to get it all sorted.

So that means that my SV will be my steed whenever I can't use my partners car...
She has been somewhat sat for a good 4 months in a garage with no cover and she looks a bit dirty.

Now she needs a service, valves checked, and I have a bit of CCT rattle so might as well get that replaced along with a new chain and sprockets. Roughly, how much would I be looking at to take her to a garage and have the work done do you think?

Back
Top Bottom