Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Associate
Booked mine in for MOT on Monday a few days ago, sunny weather clear skies was the weather forecast. Just checked it again....rain :( gutted! It's never been out in the rain in the time I've owned it. It's a Ducati and I fear rust comes naturally to them (probably doesn't nowadays but still). I'm guess I'm being a bit OTT over a possible bit of rain.

Soldato
Hadn't ridden my bike for 3+ years and trying to get back into it. Just wondering does it need new tyres or is that a myth? cause they were new barely used before it unintentionally went into long term storage.
I think it's influenced on how the bike was kept - if it's been sat on cold ground, then there is talk of 'flat spots' iirc, but if you've had it up on stands, and/or rotated the wheels and kept the pressures in check - then they should be grand; though I'd be tempted to treat them like new tyres for a few miles at least.

Associate
I think it's influenced on how the bike was kept - if it's been sat on cold ground, then there is talk of 'flat spots' iirc, but if you've had it up on stands, and/or rotated the wheels and kept the pressures in check - then they should be grand; though I'd be tempted to treat them like new tyres for a few miles at least.
Yeah it was kept on the cold ground so I'm worried about these flat spots but I'll take it easy and see they're ok cause it's gonna cost me a few quid to get it running and my insurance without NCB is mad.

Caporegime
What did everyone have as their first bike then? Looking to go Direct access but my laddie will likely need 2 years on a small bike as he's only 23, or will be at the end of this month.

Soldato
I had a fully fettled (by Orwell motorcycles, where I worked on a YTS) MBX125 after that.
I was (in my mind) the fastest thing on 2 wheels.
Great times, and I've never had another bike that gave me that feeling since.

And after a fews years of not riding, a SRAD 600 which I kept in my bedroom, as one does..

RVyKVr7.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Honda SS50 at 16 (pedals replaced with footrest)
Honda CJ250 at 17
Followed By Honda CB200 Benley, Suzuki GP100, Kawasaki Z250, Suzuki 200 X5, Yamaha RD250, Yamaha RD350 YPVS, Kawasaki KMX 200, Yamaha RD350 YPVS, Honda 400/4, Yamaha RD350 YPVS, Honda CB450, Kawasaki GPz550, Yamaha FZ750, Honda CB400RR, Honda CB900 Fireblade, Honda CB929 Fireblade, Kawasaki ZX12R, Triumph 955i Speed Triple, Yamaha FZS1000.

Phew.....

Caporegime
A Puch NRG 50cc. Like this but in purple:

It's basically a water cooled Piaggio Typhoon.

BuJQ2aA.jpeg

Got it for a song as it was traded in the day before and the guys sold it to me for trade in value. Crashed it four days after I got it and many more times after that. I couldn't stop tinkering with the thing and sunk pretty much all my cash in to it, until it was pretty much a rolling scrapheap and I sold it for buttons.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What did everyone have as their first bike then? Looking to go Direct access but my laddie will likely need 2 years on a small bike as he's only 23, or will be at the end of this month.
A lovely red YBR125. I loved that thing. When trying to decide between a CBF125 (I think?) and the Yamaha, I found the slightly more upright position of the YBR more comfortable - until I was laying flat on the tank on the A3 trying to hit 70 :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Passed DAS in 2007, and got an 06 Ninja 636 in titanium (or champagne as my Wife likes to call it), sadly I only had that for about 50 weeks until some eejit wiped me out! Onto an 08 R1 after that, and so on....

Soldato
I had a Yamaha TW125, kinda like a semi off road bike with a really wide rear tyre.

22 years ago I started riding.

Off the topic of first bike - have done about 270 miles this week, I don't ride much anymore, maybe 1000 miles or so a year, so been good to get out on it.

Back
Top Bottom