Biker's Cafe Chatroom

• Thread starter Thread starter IC3
  • Start date Start date
Just been to look at a 2017 Ducati Monster 1200S - lovely bike, really great condition, and over serviced - the dealership were also amazing; buuuuut..... the bike has done over 26k.

Highest mileage bike I've owned, was 14k on my R1 I had from new - so this ones milage is putting a bit of a roadblock in the way for me, it might be perfectly fine, and go on and on...

Gah, what to do!
Nearly any bike will go as long it is looked after but the mentality from most these days will not buy, some dealers will not buy a bike over 20 thousand on the clock if you ask why & if they are honest it is because of said mentality.
Was never like this many years ago I owned a zx12r with 50 thousand nearly impossible to sell today but in reality you will never work a zx12r.

Last edited:
Nearly any bike will go as long it is looked after but the mentality from most these days will not buy, some dealers will not buy a bike over 20 thousand on the clock if you ask why & if they are honest it is because of said mentality.
Was never like this many years ago I owned a zx12r with 50 thousand nearly impossible to sell today but in reality you will never work a zx12r.

My sv650 has 40k on it, 21 years old.

I can tell you it's in very good condition.

Shame in a way, I really want a Yamaha XSR900, but I don't do the mileage to justify it, my SV650 is in such good condition id never get what it's worth selling it, I can't be doing with keeping 2 bikes, so basically I've screwed myself looking after my bike so good.

Honestly if someone nicked it, I'd be a bit upset, but I'd also be like, oh well, XSR time.

Glad you said this! I agree. Unless the specific machine has a mileage-related engine issue where it's obviously going to cost lots/die once the non-replaceable reversible sedgwick wears out. Oh and provided it's got a history and everything important was done on time.

My venture into GS ownership a few years back was discounted because some guy did 7.5k miles in its first year. That was ideal. Sadly I see it's only added 2k since I sold it over 2 years ago!

Scort, if my maths is right that thing has only done under 4k a year on average. It looks like a comfortable bike which makes that mileage seem quite reasonable (My S1000RR on the other hand made me so uncomfortable there'd be a lot of physiotherapy attached to that kind of annual mileage!). Mind you, I don't know Ducatis.

A last thing popping out of my brain is: if you do few miles, whatever limit you're considering 'high miles' will gradually come back to 'normal mileage' if you're keeping it for a while. That's what happens when I buy a car as I do so few miles whatever I get turns into 'low mileage!' pretty quick.

Never got along with HJC after a RPHA MAX with the single strap padding over the top of my head. Wore the damn thing for 30 minutes and could still feel it 2 hours later. Bloody awful.

Look at this little beaut. It very clearly belongs to someone who works at our local supermarket, and he/she's got a few other bikes as they're always parked in the same unusual spot and never anything else close by. This is someone's daily :cool:

8SeD5oB.png

Who was it on here again who had the white one? @Malt_Vinegar if I recall?

Look at this little beaut. It very clearly belongs to someone who works at our local supermarket, and he/she's got a few other bikes as they're always parked in the same unusual spot and never anything else close by. This is someone's daily :cool:

8SeD5oB.png

That's the later NC29, but still brilliant bikes, by all accounts :) Looks to be in nice nick too. Not sure the fairings are original, but then it's hard to find any without at least some aftermarket fairings given how old they are.
Just enough power to have fun without going nuts! Also, it's a Honda, so just service it and look after the basics and it will live forever!
My nc23 is undergoing some work at the moment to fix some damage and renew a few cosmetic parts :)

Last edited:
Picked the Speed Triple up yesterday, it was sloshing it down, so I popped it into rain mode and took it easy - the collar bone still hasn't started knitting together, so didn't want things to go awry. But the ride was actually fine, if it wasn't for the carp weather, I'd have been happy to carry on riding for a few hours.

Looking forward to a dry day now, so I can give her a clean and a decent ride - though might have to keep the miles down, whilst healing is going on.

8SeD5oB.png

Who's a sexy little thing needing a pat

The boys are going for it a fourth time :D

The Long Way Home

Looking forward to the movie star theatrics - my other half still jokingly warns me not to get petrol in my eye every time we fill up :D

Looking forward to the movie star theatrics - my other half still jokingly warns me not to get petrol in my eye every time we fill up :D
I've done that before. It's ****** painful! I was filling up a petrol can for the lawn mower and while I was leaning over to check how full it was I got some splash back. Definitely not a recommended experience!

I've done that before. It's ****** painful! I was filling up a petrol can for the lawn mower and while I was leaning over to check how full it was I got some splash back. Definitely not a recommended experience!
To be fair, I did accidentally "snort-backwash" petrol once when trying to siphon offroad - also far from ideal :D

Filtering through slow-moving traffic this morning, probably 15mph or so. I see a lady playing on her phone whilst driving so I go past and knock quite hard on her window quite hard and tell her to get off her phone. The look of absolute horror was spectacular, like she'd just been caught stealing cookies. I should really get a camera that records this stuff so I can send it to the plod, the amount of people I see on their phones whilst driving is beyond alarming.

Strangely I never really noticed it when I used to commute by bike but these days in the car more often than not someone is staring into their lap at junctions/traffic lights when I look in the rearview.

Looking at chain and sprockets for the Tuono, thinking of going +1/-1 on the rear/front. Don’t really care for top speed.

Any discount codes around for SBS?

Don't tell my wife but despite finally getting another bike I'm strangely tempted to get a Vespa GTS 300 alongside it. I've just spent the last few hours looking at ads :D

Reposting here as I stupidly (and ironically) added it on 'Just Stop Oil' thread.

I have not heard anything bad about the ZZR1200 but they are not many about. The one below looks cosmetically bad due to age and mileage but the price is enticing.
Surely a lot of bike for the money.

Kawasaki ZZR1200

Back
Top Bottom