***Biker's Lounge Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
out of curiosity what do you think of the Hornet CB600FA....careful how you answer as ive just bought one two weeks ago:mad:;)

Nice wee ride to cut your teeth on. Always liked the Hornet, they appear to have a fiercely loyal ownership base. Like the VTR Firestorm, the tank range is woeful especially if you give it big licks. Not sure if that has been sorted out with later models though?.

Comes with a bit of a hooligans reputation as well, but then that isn't a bad thing. :p

Associate
All this new bike talk!

I'm thinking of replacing my Speed Triple 955 this year with a new or newish CB1000r, or perhaps CBR1000. Not sure yet, not huge sport bike fan but its just no fun doing warp speed on a naked bike!

Warp speed of course means 70 mph max on the queens highways and certainly never on one wheel while overtaking old folks doing 35 in a 60

Associate
Nice wee ride to cut your teeth on. Always liked the Hornet, they appear to have a fiercely loyal ownership base. Like the VTR Firestorm, the tank range is woeful especially if you give it big licks. Not sure if that has been sorted out with later models though?.

Comes with a bit of a hooligans reputation as well, but then that isn't a bad thing. :p

I think Bakes got the new one, which is exactly he same as the one I had.

It's an awesome little bike, great one to learn on, very forgiving and very capable.

The new ones have detuned CBR 600RR Engines in them which are stonkers. I pulls smoothly all the way from idle to redline (13.5k RPM, I know the clocks read up to 15, but it bounces back to 13.5 if you go over as I did.....quite often which is one reason I upgraded). It really starts to come alive at 8K+.
(Which you can't really use whilst running it in :p) it'll still do around 75-80 in top gear at 7k which is what the reccomended max RPM for running in.

Fuel consumption wise it really depends how hard you ride it, commuting I usually got a week from a tank which is about 140 miles (14 miles each way).
However on a weekend blast down the coast with the lads would see me filling up as often as the guys on bigger bikes (about 100 miles iirc)

From when the reserve light pops on (as long as you take it easy) you should get at least 20 miles (I did, it was pretty empty by then though).

Either way go out and have fun :)

Oh and if you can, get some advanced training in, IAM, RoSPA etc. Track days are also great fun in a safer environment than the road.

If you can afford it the CSS is great as are most of the other schools :)

Associate
All this new bike talk!

I'm thinking of replacing my Speed Triple 955 this year with a new or newish CB1000r, or perhaps CBR1000. Not sure yet, not huge sport bike fan but its just no fun doing warp speed on a naked bike!

Warp speed of course means 70 mph max on the queens highways and certainly never on one wheel while overtaking old folks doing 35 in a 60

What's wrong with the Speed Triple? The newer triples are just as good as the Japanese naked bikes.

The CBR 1000RR blades are fantastic bits of kit, especially the new ones (the ABS is supposedly very good).

Bat

Bat

Associate
Try a Suzuki DL650/1000 (V-Strom). Upright traillie but with the same engines as the SV650/1000. I had the 1000 and it was brilliant, but from what I've heard it's not much more powerful than the far cheaper DL650.
I'm 6'1" and quite 'robust' and I found it very comfortable and quick enough for me.

My reservation with Suzukis is that I get the impression that they melt as soon as they get a bit of water and salt on them. Unfair?

Associate
567-ducati-making-mechanics-out-of-riders-since-1946.jpg

Soldato
Mate has a 748 and other guy has a 1098

Would love a shot on either.

Was behind the 748 the other week and the smell of sweet fuel was amazing. Kind of smell you usually get from highly tuned cars with turbo's

Here is the 748
BrEyowBGkKGrHgoOKiYEjlLmfETBKdgLsYl.jpg

Here is 1098. Sod sitting on the back of that look where the pegs are
mydook.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
What's wrong with the Speed Triple? The newer triples are just as good as the Japanese naked bikes.

The CBR 1000RR blades are fantastic bits of kit, especially the new ones (the ABS is supposedly very good).

Love my S3 and love the looks and ride of the new ones, was just worried about reliability as mine cost me 1k on engine rebuild in december and needs new clutch, chain and sprockets and respray to get it to where i would want it to be... just thought a honda would be bullet proof. never owned one though

Associate
Is it I just always put it down to a highly tuned machine. its a very distinct smell. like i say its sweet.

Yup, my brothers CBR 600F was running rich with unburnt fuel in the fumes after we changed the cans, after fitting a PCIII and getting it dynod and mapped properly that was gone.

As for the Italian thing........my gf was NOT impressed with me when I said that Italians were style over reliability (mind you the Italian women aren't exactly the most stable of the bunch!)

As a side note I love the looks of the Ducati sports bikes and would love to have a 1098/1198 et al sitting in my garage, but can't really justify adding a 4th bike to my collection. I'm flat out refusing to sell my SP2 or supermoto for now (too much fun:D) and i don't think the Ducati would make the best commuter.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom