Bikers Pls: GSXR1000 Vs ZX10R Vs R1

Pug

Pug

Soldato
looking at around 2003/2004 age, and really cant make my mind up which way to go. Want a 2006 ZX10, cant afford one, so looking at these now.

Dont want a blade - i find the thing too narrow and "slippy" (i know what i mean :p) and really like the look of these bikes (each in their own ways - and i may find similar problems with these when i rid them maybe...).

Planning on going for a test ride on them soon, just thought i'd let you lot chew the fat for a bit :)

Upgrading from a 2001 ZX6R - which has been a simply amazing bike (comfortable, quick, forgiving etc)

Pug

Pug

Soldato
OP
hehe thanks guys

Demon: I may well be very interested in that mate - will certainly consider it, guess we'd have to talk money if i came round to a GSXR (which i pretty much was at when posting this and noones disagreed!)

As for the 750 - well no doubt there a great bike and once fuel injected are a match for the bigger bikes, but saying buy a 750 'cos 1litres have too much for the road is a bit silly when they're so quick - but i have seen and read horror stories of them blowing up, preceeded by smokey engines.

Surprised so few prefer the R1 tho - but perhaos that may be too small for me anyway. Need a testride methinks, but GSX is looking favourite.

Those that have any of these - whats the riding position like? Is it arse in the air head over tank or are any of them that bit more refined/commuter friendly? That was one of the things i liked about my ZX6 - real quick when thrashed, but real comfy when used - whereas the GSXR6 i had (SRAD one) was a wrist crippler, but fast.

Considered an Aprilia RSV1000 but was concerned about the upkeep of a non-jap bike :?

Pug

Pug

Soldato
OP
thanks L Plate - thats a really helpful post :)

Whilst i realise what a great bike the 750 is having ridden my brothers, i have had a LOT (well, not a LOT, but by jap bike standards enough :)) doubts about the reliability of the 750. Know 2 people that had them blow personally, and a friend of a friend had one go, plus some press i have read casts doubts in my mind).

Which is why i'm thinking a 1 litre - no real need to be thrashed, and you get torque which may be lacking on a 750.

Always put off by twins as on paper the power is so much lower. Does the torque compensate then? I mean in WSB a few (8?) years ago Ducati were allowed to run with 200cc more to compensate - which didnt instill much hope for me really.

At the end of the day tho i know it'll be all down to riding position - i want something comfortbale and very rapid - well, they're all very rapid, so i guess i need to find the most comfortable for my individual tastes.

Are bike shops likely to be ok with me test riding them?

Thing is everyones saying the GSXR is a beast, but why is it so much more beastly than the others? They all perform similarly i would imagine?

Back
Top Bottom