Bikes for the taller gent?

Soldato
Hi,

Currently I ride a pretty banged up Honda Deauville 650, not complaining as I got it free from my old man a few years back when I passed my test. Anyways, it suits me good because I don't think I could ride a sports bike for long, being 6'4", without getting chronic back ache and uncomfortable.

I use my bike for commuting a short journey these days but I also go out for rides in the summer to visit friends anything from 50-150 miles away. The Mrs also likes to ride on the back during these times. The "Sports/Tourer" style of bike means that it is comfortable for us both over the longer rides and has a back rest back box for her which is an added bonus.

I get a bit of stick from the other bikers at my work for riding an old man bike, fair enough. I must admit it wouldn't be my first choice if I had to pick one from new, but I do like the practicality features as listed above. This got me thinking:

What other bikes are out there that are similar to mine or that have similar spec? I'm not too up to date/knowledgeable with this kind of thing and want to ask what you guys think?

Soldato
YEa, that or a Ducati hypermotard :D

I am 6'2" tall and get on fine with my Ducati 748 which is tiny and skinny compared to most modern superbikes, although the seat height is very high whilst the handlebars are low = loverly sports position :D

Me on mine, I find it comfy :) Mind you, that extra 2 inches might make a difference... As they say lol.
18071_411160325540_744360540_106-1.jpg

ags

Soldato
OP
Aren't Ducati's notoriously forever breaking down and costing lots of money? I like the look of the multistrada though...

I like my Honda atm because it is essentially a war horse. They also look like you gotta be bent over a fair bit, at least from Agnes picture.

Helpimcrpa the Aprilla looks nice but seems lacking in pillion comfort. I've seen a few nice looking BMW sport/tourers, any opinions on them as a whole?

Associate
The newer Ducatis, and those with the electics worked on and properly waterproofed are fine.

Any sports bike (which the Mille is) doesn't have much pillion comfort.

Sports tourers may be more what you're looking for

Soldato
Hi,

Currently I ride a pretty banged up Honda Deauville 650.....I don't think I could ride a sports bike for long, being 6'4", without getting chronic back ache and uncomfortable.

I use my bike for commuting a short journey these days but I also go out for rides in the summer to visit friends anything from 50-150 miles away. The Mrs also likes to ride on the back during these times. The "Sports/Tourer" style of bike means that it is comfortable for us both over the longer rides and has a back rest back box for her which is an added bonus.

/Snip ......

What other bikes are out there that are similar to mine or that have similar spec?......

Your current bike is a 650 V-Twin road based bike producing ~60hp which seems to be able to average 50mpg and has a seat height of 814mm. When you're asking for bikes of a similar spec is this the kind of thing you're after or did you want a bit more power? Also what kind of budget are we talking about?

Soldato
OP
Sports tourers may be more what you're looking for

Yes! I think this is exactly what I need. The Multistrada Ducati sports/tourer options looks quite sexeh if I'm honest!

Your current bike is a 650 V-Twin road based bike producing ~60hp which seems to be able to average 50mpg and has a seat height of 814mm. When you're asking for bikes of a similar spec is this the kind of thing you're after or did you want a bit more power? Also what kind of budget are we talking about?

This is some good stattage. My current bike, although old man style, is very practical. I think something like the Multistrada sport/tour would be ideal as it has more grunt and ditches the old man look.

I would like a bike with a bit more grunt definitely. I'm guessing in the region of 900cc and up. Think the Multistrada is 1200 which is awesome. It doesn't look to heavy either so I guess it would go like **** off a shovel :D

Budget is hypothetical at the moment. But I guess up to the region of around £5k would be reasonable. What would you recommend?

Tea Drinker
Don
Iirc the first ZX9rs were very big almost a tourer / blackbird size, that was before they went skinny and small, my instructor had one, I always back remember him coming back from a ride and the front tyre being ruined and melting over the rim

Soldato
You'd probably be better with something like the Honda Blackbird than the ZX12R. The 12R is on the wrong side of sporty for you by the sounds of things, where as the Blackbird is still bloody quick but has more comfort along with it :) .

Soldato
OP
Ah man, the blackbird looks ideal to be honest. It has the look of something a little sportier and has the engine to boot! Looks quite comfortable for a pillion when fully laden.

Also, I do like Honda bikes for their reliability. Good shout there Stormer!

Soldato
OP
good yell on the bird, better two up and I'm sure there are tons of luggage options

best bit it's still a very very quick bike when you want it to be, rest of the time a nice lazy tourer :)

Yeah, since he recommended it I have been looking at pictures and reading about it. I must say I love the look of it and it appears to tick all the boxes. I'd love to test ride one tbh.

I then moved to auto trader for prices and decent deals...I now need to stop trying to convince myself that £3.5k isn't that much to spend, maybe less given a trade in on the deauville but I doubt I'd get much for it.

Back
Top Bottom