• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

Billy Cobham in Stratford

Associate
Billy Cobham for those that don't know, is a very influential jazz-fusion drummer whos darn good.

Check him here

Well, on tuesday night i discovered that Billy Cobham was playing in the Civic Hall in Stratford.

So me and my Pa booked some tickets and legged it down there. We were about 5 mins late, kick off ay 8, we got there at 8.05. This was late enough for them to have sold our tickets, even though i expressly said that we might be 5-10mins late over the phone, anyway.

The kind lady in the box office said that she had two spare, slightly more expensive, tickets for the front row. So me and Dad thought 'bonus'. so we paid and went in. Turns out the tickets were handed back by a group that had booked the whole front row, two hadn't turned up so they gave the tickets back. They had spread across the row, and people were sitting in 'our' seats. We went to have a word with the attendant, as the spare seats that we could see were at the side and obscured any view of Billy. This basically made the seats useless.

We decided just to pack it in, get our money back and go home. Billy was playing with a Cuban outfit, who were good, not my cup of tea normally but as Billy was playing it had to be good. As we couldn't see him it was pointless.

The case was made to the attendants, politely as we were late. They said we could have our money back but because of the mix up they'd let us in for free. As something for nothing was on offer we decided to stay. We had to wait to get back in o the concert as the attendants didn't want us walking about in the middle of a song. Whilst there we met the organiser of the concert, the guy that had put it together, had a little chat and then went in to watch. We found some fairly respectable seats near the back that no one had told us about, which was weird, as we had a good view.

front.jpg

Soo we're now enjoying the concert, as we near the end the organiser came up and asked if we wanted to go back stage to watch Billy as he was really sorry about the whole ticket issue, which by this time was forgotton about. So we spent the last two songs watching him backstage from about 6 feet away.

view.jpg

AND then i got to meet him!!

mebilly.jpg

Excuse the look, i was a little flustered. having been a fan since i was like six. plus i didn't know i was going until about 4pm that day.. :p

The concert was great, got back stage, met one of my musical heroes, all for nowt!

Cash Back!

Associate
OP
He hadn't lost it :) they managed to give him his own little solo in the 2nd half which was pretty good. But as it was mainly cuban type music it wasn't anything as extreme as the Mahavishnu Orchestra or the stuff with Hancock. Easily worth the money ;)

edit:

He was saying that cuban music felt like home, and then mentioned something about a new Mahavishnu Orchestra CD. But i've had a little look to no avail. That would be something if it were true :D

Back
Top Bottom