Biltong

Soldato
I liked jerky but the only shop around here that doesn't sell just those packets of wild west jerky is unreliable at stocking it.

Then I looked up biltong. Mooched through a few sites.

Settled on The Chichester Biltong Company.

Then noticed you get free shipping if you spend £50...

Which is why I have 2kg of assorted biltong and four copies of south african newspapers which it was wrapped in in case I want to catch up with the news in south africa which ironically seems to be a lot about what's happening in the UK.

tmpbs.jpg

Much nomming ahead, made a start at the top left :p

Dunno about the fat in biltong. This stuff is all medium (dryness) with fat, if I order more I might try some dry without fat.

Soldato
OP
Don't think I'm that sold to invest in a box yet.

Actually the fat doesn't bother me. Unless it's piece which is almost entirely a wodge of fat with some meat hanging on.

Gristle to be expected in biltong? Don't recall any in jerky I've bought. A difference in cuts and preparation or what?

Soldato
OP
The fat isn't bad really.

Melts away when you chew, nice in a way, the meat also melts away, in a way and you're left with the gristly stuff.

Also, what madman thought it would be awesome to have dried meat soaked in chilli. It's not initially that hot but chewing it over and over and over in your mouth does bump it up quite a lot.

Garlic and original is nice and nommable. Chilli I'll get back to later when I've forgotten how much it can burn. Peri peri I'll get round to later :)

Back
Top Bottom