Bios password, dont know it... way round it?

Soldato
Trying to plug a HDD into a PC so i can backup some files as my main pc is knackered, but the bios on this other PC has a password which i dont know. How can i set it up without going into the bios? or how can i remove the password?

Associate
most bios have a backdoor password which are generic (such as phoniex etc) find out what bios you have and then google for a backdoor password for it

Permabanned
Remove battery, short terminals, replace battery, done.

EDIT: Or if you have a reset CMOS jumper, use that.

EDIT 2: Aaaaand, whichever you do, unplug from the mains first.

Soldato
OP
Ender said:
most bios have a backdoor password which are generic (such as phoniex etc) find out what bios you have and then google for a backdoor password for it

i have no idea, my mum was given this PC a couple of weeks ago so she could learn how to use one. It's really old and i have no idea what to look for.

This is what it says at the top when i try to get into the bios:

Rom PCI/ISA BIOS (2A5KKJ1E)
CMOS SETUP UTILITY
AWARD SOFTWARE INC.

Is the code handy at all to help me find what i need to know?

Soldato
OP
Cobra said:
Remove battery, short terminals, replace battery, done.

EDIT: Or if you have a reset CMOS jumper, use that.

EDIT 2: Aaaaand, whichever you do, unplug from the mains first.

had a look about and i cant see a CMOS jumper, and the first bit confuses me too much :(

Permabanned
Ripper^ said:
had a look about and i cant see a CMOS jumper, and the first bit confuses me too much :(

OK.

Unplug from the mains, and press the power button. Computer won't start (obviously), but it will discharge the circuits.
On the motherboard, you have a round battery. Take it out, and underneath there are two little metal connectors. Short these (i.e. touch them both at the same time) with a screwdriver or similar. Keep this shorted for 30 seconds or so. Now replace the battery, plug back in, and turn on!
Your BIOS should be reset.

Soldato
OP
Cobra said:
OK.

Unplug from the mains, and press the power button. Computer won't start (obviously), but it will discharge the circuits.
On the motherboard, you have a round battery. Take it out, and underneath there are two little metal connectors. Short these (i.e. touch them both at the same time) with a screwdriver or similar. Keep this shorted for 30 seconds or so. Now replace the battery, plug back in, and turn on!
Your BIOS should be reset.

how do i get the battery out?

Suspended
You shouldn't need to take the battery out, just use the CMOS reset jumper link. There probably is one. Unplug it from the wall, short the jumper, put the jumper back and power up. If this were a laptop you would be screwed. Desktop BIOS reset is dead easy. If there is no CMOS reset jumper use a plastic tool to prize the battery, it should just pop out like a watch battery.

Soldato
For the future, on passworded systems with an Award BIOS, try using AWARD_SW as the password (case-sensitive). It doesn't work on all boards but it certainly works on some.

Soldato
OP
the HDD wouldn't configure on the other system. Wouldn't recognise it at all, its an AT system so im guessing thats why. Anyway, is there any way to hook up the hard drive to my laptop?

Permabanned
If it's an AT system, then I'd check it actually has USB.

I remember AT systems being used for the early Pentiums (pre 166MHz) - only ATX systems have USB, IIRC. Unless you installed a PCI USB card, of course.

Suspended
Sorry, can't quite understand. If he needs to take the data off the HD, just remove the HD fit into a USB enclosure and transfer data to his laptop- if his laptop has USB. Or you could use a laplink cable or network crossover, but that will be much slower than direct HD to HD copying.

Soldato
OP
If it's an AT system, then I'd check it actually has USB.

I remember AT systems being used for the early Pentiums (pre 166MHz) - only ATX systems have USB, IIRC. Unless you installed a PCI USB card, of course.
nah the other desktop is AT that i was trying to put the hdd in earlier, i need the enclosure so i can hook it up to my laptop as the AT desktop won't recognise it

Back
Top Bottom